SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Conditionally Loading Include Files

Hi, I am having trouble condtionally loading include files, I am specifically trying to use expressions as a constant - I get messages like -

USE argument must resolve to a constant string: use G_SDMFile

in another include I have these lines.

const G_MyDSN = "dsn=BetaOne"
    const G_DATFile = GetField(G_MyDSN, "=", 2)

which will return "BetaOne"

I have two compiler constants, they are:
    BetaOne = "C:\betascript\BetaOne.inc"
    BetaTwo = "C:\betascript\BetaTwo.inc"

- has anyone got any suggestions or answers.

the names have been changed but the scenario is accurate.

What I am aiming to do is in a users personal settings file allow them to set what Include file to use based on what version they are running the test against.

The G_MyDSN constant is used to point to a different access database that drives the scripts.

Thanks
    WayneTaylorUK

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Conditionally Loading Include Files

Sorry, I mis-used this feature I now have the desired effect.

...but, if anyone has an answer to my original question, I would be grateful, I wanted the same functionality using the method below.

Thanks Wayne Taylor - Test Analyst

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by waynetayloruk:
    Hi, I am having trouble condtionally loading include files, I am specifically trying to use expressions as a constant - I get messages like -

USE argument must resolve to a constant string: use G_SDMFile

in another include I have these lines.

const G_MyDSN = "dsn=BetaOne"
    const G_DATFile = GetField(G_MyDSN, "=", 2)

which will return "BetaOne"

I have two compiler constants, they are:
    BetaOne = "C:\betascript\BetaOne.inc"
    BetaTwo = "C:\betascript\BetaTwo.inc"

- has anyone got any suggestions or answers.

the names have been changed but the scenario is accurate.

What I am aiming to do is in a users personal settings file allow them to set what Include file to use based on what version they are running the test against.

The G_MyDSN constant is used to point to a different access database that drives the scripts.

Thanks
    WayneTaylorUK
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Conditionally Loading Include Files

I recommend that you create a support script to create a runtime-manufactured include file. Then pack the support script and your test script into a suite file. For example:

YourScript.t:

or
    SuiteSupport.t:

or
    YourSuite.s:

This method was used because the Plan files in QAPartner seemed quite awkward. Later on it proved very useful because of differing versions of software.

I have found the following benefits resulting from this method: 1) data-driven test cases requiring different include files; 2) reduce support file collisions (many files utilize msw32.inc at different levels); 3) allow code to be reused across multiple projects; 4) differing versions of software can be handled.

Generally, I am pulling information from various ODBC data sources. But sometimes it is much simpler like when files must be checked for include file collisions.

Hopefully this helps!

[This message has been edited by AJBachman (edited 09-12-2000).]
    Andy Bachman