SPONSORS:

User Tag List

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Upgrade to JDK1.3 loses applet objects

Does anyone have any experience with JDK 1.3?
    We are in the process of upgrading our web-based applet from JDK 1.2.2. Once we upgraded to JDK 1.3, Silk no longer sees any objects (Swing or custom java) within the applet. All was running fine under JDK 1.2.2 -- we even had our custom stuff mapped (using javaex.ini ClassList) and were calling invokeMethods successfully.

Environment:
    - IE5.01 sp1 128-bit encryption
    - Silk 5.0.3.1
    - JDK 1.3 (our applet looks for this)
    - Java extension enabled with 'use Java plugin'
    - IE5/VO (DOM does not work for us) extension enabled
    - runtime options has IE5/VO as default browser
    - custom java class added to javaex.ini ClassList

I've tried:
    - new options set that has no mapping (ours ignores several AWT windows)
    - re-recording with 'record all classes' turned on and off

Direct test of the *same* code drop with JDK 1.2.2 worked, JDK 1.3 did not, so I'm pretty confident this is the problem.
    If anyone has any ideas on this, I'd appreciate it.
    Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Re: Upgrade to JDK1.3 loses applet objects

Segue Tech Support solved this for me by having me put the SilkTest_Java2.jar in the ~\Program Files\JavaSoft\JRE\1.3\lib\ext directory.
    Once I did this, Silk found all the java applet classes just fine. I didn't have to do this for the 1.2.2 version, but perhaps now it is required - ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Please be careful about guessing that something might be a new requirement. Would you take this approach with your own AUT when something changed?

Anyway ... The point is that most of us have not had the problem described here nor have we solved any problem by putting the silktest_java2.jar file in a different directory.

If you really don't know why this worked for you then perhaps you should ask the person who provided the solution. But if not for this issue then at least remember to ask the next time you don't totally understand why soemthign worked. It's sometimes amazing the kinds of little things you can learn simply by asking "why?".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boy. How condescending was that?
    Do you think you could have perhaps been a *little* constructive and given me any pointers or possible solutions to my problem instead of just a public castigation?

I *DID* ask the tech support person why this worked. His response was "...not sure, it just seems to help sometimes." So, armed with what little information I had (i.e., it solved this particular problem) I posted to share it with others. Just in case, someone else out there ran into the same or similar problem, they might *TRY* it to see if it worked for them. I thought this is what the forum was about. And clearly, from my use of a question mark, I wasn't sure if it was a requirement or not. I was hoping someone else may have more information to share on the subject. Obviously you didn't, but still felt the need to post.

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Boy, do I agree with dwamba's response to pcostigan's post.

This board is meant to provide help to immediate problems, and not necessarily greatly detailed solution explanations. I know I want people to post their ideas and suggestions--I then will evaluate those suggestions [I have, after all, run out of any more of my own ideas].

And those of us who have worked with Segue Support know that provided answers range from excellent and well informed to just horendous hacks.

Lets not discourage people from posting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

For the record:

I read this thread an hour ago, added the file to the relevant folder as directed, and re-captured the window declarations. It instantly solved the major issues I was struggling with.

I still have a few problems to work out but the point is that reading this saved me over a weeks work at least. Just because you haven't hit the problem before, doesn't make it any less real than the normal ones where everyone responds with the classic, " Add the java(1 or 2).jar file to your CLASSPATH."

Software logic is weird, and Test Automation is weirder than most.

Cheers,
    Martin

------------------
    "Not every solution was derived to address an obvious problem" - Me (quite recently indeed)