Working through the following two points should resolve this issue and
allow you to record successfully:
1. Incorrect setting of the registry key AppInit_DLLs_*
The SilkPerformer Recorder user the registry key AppInit_DLLs. If the
entry for this key is incorrect the Recorder may not function
correctly. To verify its setting
* From the Start button select Run
* Enter regedit and click OK
* Expand the registry Key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SOFTWARE |
Microsoft | Windows NT | CurrentVersion | Windows | AppInit_DLLs
* Right Click AppInit_DLLs
* Select Modify
* Check that the value is exactly "qaphooks.dll"
* Make sure that there are no trailing characters e.g. "," or " "
* Although this should resolve the issue, you may need to check
step 2 below as the qaphooks.dll registry setting can change
some default SilkPerformer settings.
2. Incorrect application profile or proxies set up_*
To verify the setup of your application profile
* Open SETTINGS | SYSTEM | RECORDER | APPLICATION PROFILE
* Select the Application Profile for the browser you are using
* Click Edit
* The Application Path should point to the browser executable.
* The application type should be the type of the browser
* In the PROTOCOL SELECTION area of this dialog, ensure that 'Web'
checkbox is checked. The 'Web Settings...' button will then
* Select Winsock and the w2_32.dll
Turned out that I installed SilkPerformer on two identical machines, except on one machine there was a previous installation of Mercury Quick Test Pro - which led to the 'unable to hook' error message. After I uninstalled QTP, the message changed to "can't find [...] AppInit_DLLs". A check in regedit verified the key is missing entirely.
Apparently QuickTest replaces this key by something else, upon uninstall this something is deleted, rendering SilkPerformer unusable.
Sorry, I forgot: the simple solution is, to manually enter a new string value in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE | SOFTWARE | Microsoft | Windows NT | CurrentVersion | Windows | named AppInit_DLLs and modify the value to "qaphooks.dll"
I think you might find that the QTP AppInit_DLLs does not change anything the entry that does change it is the another registry entry in the same key 'MercInt...' (i can't remember what it's called)
I am also facing the same problem. In the registry the value for that field is "qaphooks.dll csauser.dll". I tried editing the field. But I am not able to edit AppInit_DLLs field in the registry. It says "Cannot edit AppInit_DLLs". But i am able to change values in other fields. So not the access problem.