Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

SQL Server Memory Usage.

One thing I recently learned is that SQL Server is designed to take as much memory (eventually) as available to it which is 2GB max for sql2000 std edition.
    I ran some test and shared results with one of our clients and they noticed that all the test we ran the DB server memory stayed at 2GB start to finish with very minor differences (looking at global OS counter memory commited etc).
    My question is that are we hitting the SQL memory usuage limitation which is suppose to be 2GB, or how do we find out if all the memory SQL has aquired is actually is in use. When I look at sql memory counters ()
    Memory Grants Pending: The current # of process waiting for a workspace memory grant.
    (shows 0)
    Target Server Memory (KB): The total amount of memory that SQL Server can consume. (shows 1.6GB)
    Total Server Memory (KB): The total amount of memory that SQL server is using.(reaches to 1.6GB in 5 minutes)
    Memory Commited bytes (reaches 2 GB in 5 minutes)

Do we have a problem?
    Environment: We are using SQL2000 Std Edition. OS MS Windows Server 2003 Standard Edition with 4 GB Ram.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: SQL Server Memory Usage.

I'm not exactly clear on your situation but my first instinct is that you may be looking at the total amount of memory that is allocated for SQL Server to use.

In other words ..... SQL Server can use "up to" 2GB of memory if needed but it is probably not currently using all of it initially.

The Memory Commited bytes would be correct at 2 GB because this memory on the server is committed to SQL Server.

Hopefully I just didn't cause more confusion.