I'm finding that increasing my VU's to 1800 total spread across 6 agent machines (so roughly 300VUs per system) my agent machines are running quite often at 100% CPU usage. They are Dual Intel Xeon 3.6ghz hyper-threaded systems, so the hyper-threading is enabled meaning we're simulating 4 procs. Does anyone know if SP has any problems with hyper-threaded systems? FYI, we were memory bound so just upped them all to 8GB.
FYI, got some good advice from Borland on this one that I thought would be useful to share.
Basically they said if I was doing lots of string manipulation computations or other logic then that would potentially eat up CPU cycles. They suggested I limit the # of users who could enter those sections of my scripts using GlobalResourceEnter/Release.
What I decided to do was to limit the # of users into these sections by a global constant and deliniate the resource names by Agent and script name. What I ended up with is this
<font class="small">Code:</font><hr /><pre>
IF bGlobalResourceConstraint then
FYI, my management was skeptical of this so I told them I'd make it so we could easily turn it off and on, hence the if statement dependent on bGlobalResourceConstraint which is set as a constant True/False in a shared bdh file along with Max_Resource_Users.
Took some tweaking, but I'm getting peaks of 100% CPU now, but not constantly at 100%