Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Regarding Performance Testing Framework

Hi Everyone,
    I am newbie to performance arena. As per our requirement I need to conduct some feasibility about performance tools such as silk performer 2008 and WebLOAD 8.3. Ideally our application is Web based with AJAX. I have bit work experience in Loadrunner 8.0. Now I have to conduct feasibility with the help of above specified tools and go-ahead with suitable tool for further automation. Now I have few questions related to that.

1. What are all the inputs I need to taken care while feasibility?
    2. What are all the logs mainly I have focus?
    3. Is there any settings needed to be done apart from user guide suggestions for AJAX?

Later stage once tool got finalized, I need to setup performance testing framework. I newbie to setup performance testing framework, Since I had development experience of functional testing automation framework for various tools such as QTP, Rational Robot and Rational functional tester I felt if have any idea about performance testing I would manage accordingly. I request all of you to throw some suggestions regarding this.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Regarding Performance Testing Framework

Just an FYI on AJAX...Current versions of SP does not support AJAX.... While it is possible to performance test AJAX with SP (and I believe some here have had success doing so) Borland only has plans to support AJAX with no solid dates for a roll out of support...
    But in the end doesn't it all come down to BEER? Beer is the ultimate answer to all questions in the universe so yes the answer to your question is BEER.
    lgeisz

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

FYI I've used SilkPerformer for several web apps with AJAX components.

I'm not sure what "AJAX Support" entails. perhaps different recording capabilities?
    Corey Goldberg
    Homepage: goldb.org
    Twitter: twitter.com/cgoldberg
    Google+: gplus.to/cgoldberg

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi RKY,

Please go through the below link.

http://support.borland.com/kbshow.php?q=21947

Thanks,
    R@M

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

There is no 'standard' automation framework for performance tests which you have seen in the various functional tests. however you may get variety of approach to follow while doing peformance tests. Some of tools are giving 'sample scripts'(ex - SP) to incorporate those in the actual scripts but again these workes differently depend on the tools.

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I've used Silk Performer extensively to test applications written with AJAX and have no problem. All though the scripting presents more of a challenge - the best way to handle dynamic behavior is with the use of recording rules which work extremly well when done right.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I've now tested two applications that use AJAX controls. The first application was extremely difficult to paramaterize and get the scripts functioning. The second one I'm currently working on is turning out to be quite simple and smooth. So my take on this subject is that it's not so much the Ajax controls as how they are implemented by the development team. And I concur with Mike, recording rules can save you a lot of time and frustration if you implement them well. Here's a little gotcha I dicovered on recording rules. Renaming a recording rule file to something like rules.xrl.old does NOT, repeat DOES NOT cause SP to ignore and not use the file. SP sees anything with .xrl (no matter if there's more after it) as a valid recording rule file and will attempt to use it.
    Yes, it really IS rocket science!
    http://www.linkedin.com/in/doncobos