Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Angry When colleagues not follow process/test plans?

Hi all,

I started working at a company for one year ago (online gaming). My role is QA Manager. The company is pretty new and was pretty much a startup when I started.

I started with coming up with process for test, after discussions with developers, managers and devops. We settled this process and it worked fine. Some months later they hired a project manager/scrum master and the process was destroyed for a new process noone liked. But the scrum master was pretty pushy. In spring, we started developing a new product and I made some plans for testing. However, we hired lots of more people and it became chaos. People didn't care about settled process and noone looked after it. No manager interrupted when process was not followed. Also, agreed templates like test cases, bug reports, etc was ignored and people wrote how they wanted, even though I told them it is not ok, noone listened.

Now we are near release of this product and I was very, very clear with how testing should be performed near launch. All of it was ignored, even though CIO approved of how we should work. I also managed some stakeholders in their acceptance testing (approx 10 people) and talked to them about how to test, how to report and when to report. I told them it is very important to follow proces and deliver report in time. This process was agreed by everyone. However, I only got 1 test report from 1 stakeholder. The rest did not send theirs. I talked to them and some apologized and sent report, but most of them did not reply. Also, many of them claim they have tested and accepted their area, but when I tested myself, I clearly saw that there still were issues. One of the stakeholders made up his own test plan and started manage other testers without telling me (and even without communicating at all, he just did on his own) and when I asked him for his report he said he didn't write any and was not going to either (!).

I do not know what to do here.
    I am a QA manager but noone listens. I make plans for testing which get communicated and approved by managers and CIO, but at the same time just ignored. Also, when I follow up and tell people why regression testing is important, the scrum master got upset and angry. But I am just doing my job. They want my GO/NO GO for the product but I do not get information so I can make my decisions.

What should I do when people dont care about processes, work flows and templates?
    I have a working system, which is communicated and approved. But noone follows and there are no consequenses either. I am used to that managers (PM or CIOs) contact people not following agreed process, that this is not acceptable. But I get no support what so ever from PM/CIOs. What to do? Is it even any idea staying here?

Thanks

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    I see you put a lot of thoughts in reading it. It is human nature to think of everything from your point of view. For example, the company I'm currently working at had several recent mergers. Even though we try to document the process, the people in our team all have different understanding to what the process actually is. It's been a struggle between old timers who thinks they're on the old process, the new hire who assume the process is same as their previous company, people from mergers and acquisitions still working on their old process out of habit, and the gamut in between.

First off.. Access how many people are aware of the process your company has decided, and make sure they get adequate training.

2nd, put in controls and workflows around the process. No one likes to do extra work or work outside of habits they already formed from years of working. Generally you will need to put systems in place in order to enforce the process. For example, developers hate doing code reviews. To ensure code reviews, you need to put a system that either does not accept unreviewed code, pretty simple right?

3rd is put feedback processes in place. What do you do when they don't follow the process? Do you issue warnings? When they follow the process, do you give them feedback on what they did well or could do better?

Good luck. I get it. Everyone expects QA to have all the answers. As QA we are in a unique position of being the final gate, knowing the technicals of the product, and knowing the product inside and out.
    David Lai
    SDET / Consultant
    LinkedIn profile

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    I agree with David, its definitely time to get some feedback from the team about why they aren't using the process. I would also make a recommendation to be able to articulate why you created the process in the first place. Remind people about that context.

For example, one time I put a new process in place for static analysis. The purpose was to eliminate simple coding errors prior to system test. As the process evolved, and we had issues, we could return to the original purpose and ask ourselves if we were still solving that problem. Having the original context communicated clearly is important.

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    //What should I do when people dont care about processes, work flows and templates? // What kind of processes and templates..? Processes are changing based on the development models and people. In my previous org, testers used to collect many metrics (>50). But majority of them are not required to make decision as Go / NO GO. Simplified the metrics within 16 parameters (including dev/test/req)
    Thanks & Regards,
    Palani.
    http://tips-testing.blogspot.com/index.html
    Quote: Donít hesitate to initiate!