Thread: Internal Hires

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Cool Internal Hires

I interviewed one of our support people to come to QA as a Junior tester. My company considers it a lateral move because while he knows our application, he has no formal QA experience, which makes sense. I was just wondering how other folks on here handle that situation. Do you do the same, no immediate raise, or throw them a bone at the time of the move and maybe sweeten it after say a 90 period?
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    What pay grade is this Support person at? What pay grade is a Junior tester in your company?

I've transferred lower-grade Support folks into a higher-grade position within QA in the past. When I did so, I bumped their grade, and salary immediately.

On the other hand, if I were to take a Senior Support person into a Junior QA role, there likely could be no bump.

As always, it depends... When in doubt, consult your HR rep.
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Currently, I do not think HR has that stuff defined, which is pretty sad. He has been in support about a year. Not sure he'd be considered a senior. To me he would be a lower pay grade than a Jr. QA, but I also understand their logic that he has no formal QA training or experience, so make it a lateral move and in 90 days re-evaluate.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by qamjk View Post
    Currently, I do not think HR has that stuff defined, which is pretty sad.
    Hmm.

Are you the hiring Manager here? You might want to actually check in with HR first before making a decision.

When you say "your company considers it a lateral move" who are you talking about? Who considers it a lateral move?

If the "Who" is the President of the company, then your response is probably "Yes, sir." If the "Who" are just random folks, then you may be in a position to decide what kind of move this is, not them.
    Joe Strazzere
    Visit my website: AllThingsQuality.com to learn more about quality, testing, and QA!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Seriously, HR is useless here. One of our founders also runs a payday company which is also a call center. When they created OUR employee handbook, HR just copied the call center one, slapped our company name on it and that was it. The new President and CTO consider it lateral. In a previous company where I was also the hiring Manager, they considered folks from help desk a lateral move as well. I fought it, but always lost because that's what the owners wanted.
    Mike

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Quote Originally Posted by qamjk View Post
    The new President and CTO consider it lateral.
    I think you have found your answer.
    Joe Strazzere

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded
    Hi,

Looks like I'm late to the party, but here is what I've done: Look at the pay range for the junior tester role, and adjust accordingly at the time of hire to bring the new person at the same level as a new hire. You have a junior tester, fairly paid, who already has a lot of product knowledge. You also know about this person, their work habits, etc.

Good luck with your new team member.

John