Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Check Login page in Jmeter

Hi,
    I am new to Jmeter. I created a test plan with a login page. The login page is for user to enter user name and password. I use the User Parameters to parametized the username and password. I want to write something to check the user name and password valid or not BEFORE continuing login to the web page. Can someone help? Thank you!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Check Login page in Jmeter

Hi,

You can use Assertions to validate it.

http://jakarta.apache.org/jmeter/use...tml#assertions

I hope it helps.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

What is it you want to check?

- Do you want to make sure that the Username and Password are valid (they will provide access to the app)? If so why would you need to do this in a performance test?

When you parameterize the user/pw you should provide valid login credentials so the VU's can access the AUT.

To get a better answer you will need to add some information about what is the scope of your project.
    ALM 11.0 Patch: 12
    PC 11.0 Patch: 7
    Vugen 11.0 Patch: 4

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Jose - Thank you for the information. I will take a look at the link.

Colombian - Thank you for your input. I have a list of username/password on a csv file. If a username or password are incorrected, the test will stop for that particular thread. I want to do a negative testing on the login page as well. Can that be achieved throught jmeter? All the input is greatly appreciated.

Thanks again!
    -K

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Are you using JMeter for functional or performance testing?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Mainly for performance testing. However, I do want reuse the same test plan to cover other functional test. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

There are very different approaches depending on which test you are asking about. You need to define business transactions most common to the use of the AUT.

Do you really want to set a whole business transaction (Thread Group) just to see how well the application will respond to (lets say) 100 concurrent users with incorrect credentials?

For negative functional testing you would create the transaction group and add all the necessary assertions to validate all your requirements.

In performance tests we limit assertions just to the necessary, mostly where there are SAL in response time or to verify a specific (text) response is present after a request.

For a performance test of HomePage -> Login -> Logout, you will want to record and modify a successful iteration and parameterize to replay with load.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thank you for the infor! You are absoluetly corrected. I am using Jmeter test to test the concurrent users (100+ users) and performance our web application. We have a LDAP server to manage all the user logins. I have a CSV file contains user name passwords information which passes the logins information to jmeter for concurrent users testing (100+ threads ).
    My question is IF one or more logins no longer valid during the login (login not longer exists in LDAP ), is there a way for jmeter to stop that particular thread and log the invalid login to log file and continue with other thread?
    Appreciate your input on this. Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

When running a performance test the thread execution is not sequential, it is concurrent all threads will be executing according to the controllers and samples in the thread group. And that is the default behavior for JMeter it will continue all the steps in your given transaction and will flag as failed the steps, then just continue with the next iteration. I've actually been trying to figure out how to make the thread stop execution and restart the next iteration.

So in the case you are running 100 VU's let say you provide a csv with 500 "valid" credentials, you could run a thread group of 100 to iterate 5 times. Try reading the documentation on CSV data set config to get a better idea of how the concurrent threads access the file.

Remember to test a business transaction it must be set up in the most realistic way possible (include think time, transaction pacing).

Hope this makes sense...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Good advice! Many Thanks.