Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Excel test cases from SpiraTest

First a confession - after many shameful years as a lurker on SQA forums this is my first post. [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

I've just joined an organisation and introduced SpiraTest to the team I'm working with, (QC would have been my preference but it was hard enough to get the budget for SpiraTest.) For the time being I'm finding it necessary to get the UAT test cases back out into Excel for the end-users to execute, which doesn't seem to be an easy task unless you want to export them to word or HTML one by one.

I've therefore written a little bit of VBA that builds an Excel workbook of the test cases when given a test set ID. I don't think I can attach it here, but if anyone wants a copy PM me your email address and I will send it. Figured that if anyone is in the same position as me it might save you some time.

(Now the small print 1. It will only work as-is if you are using the standard database schema on SQL Server. 2. You need an account that lets you query the database. 3. I'm a tester, not a developer, so there are probably a hundred better ways to do this, but hey it works for me!)

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Excel test cases from SpiraTest

Hi Folks

We've just released v2.3 of SpiraTest and it comes with an improved Excel test report that includes the test steps in Excel format.

Regards

Adam (I work for Inflectra)
    Adam
    Inflectra Corporation
    SpiraTest = Test Management

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Excel test cases from SpiraTest

Thanks Adam. If only I'd taken the time to read the development roadmap etc on your website, I'd have probably known this was coming!

Also, I can't edit my original post now, but I'd like to publicly take back my statement that QC would be my preference. Having got properly into using SpiraTest over the last couple of weeks, QC wouldn't now automatically be my first choice for a test management tool. (What can I say, I'm sorry - my vision was clouded by 10 years of using the other tool!)

I'd definitely recommend that anyone evaluating test management tools consider SpiraTest. Sure some tools at 40 times the price may have a few additional features, but I think you've got to be honest with yourself about whether you will actually use them on a scale that justifies the cost.