Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Rational TestManager VS Quality Centre

hi,
    can anyone tell me the differences and similarities between RTM and QC....

regards
    afthab

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Rational TestManager VS Quality Centre

Basically rational testmanager is an ibm tool that is used to run suites for rational robot,RFT and Rational Manual tester scripts.along with this we can do planning of test cases and analysing of test results in it.

Quality center is a tool from mercury(now HP)that is used as a defect management tool and along with this it maintains the test requirements,testplan and execution of test scripts.
    Thanks,
    Vishnu
    http://vishnumittal-testing.blogspot.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Having used both, I have to say that Quality Center is like a cadillac, compared to TestManager, which is a scaled down version, with (in my opinion) very little to offer. That said, you get what you pay for and you'll pay significantly more for Quality Center.
    I found that running scripts through TestManager was frustrating at best - for one, if a script crashes or fails, and you're lucky enough to see it before it skips to the next script, trying to make it stop running before it's messing up all your subsequent tests is difficult (slow response to hitting the stop button, I found). Secondly, if you then want to continue on from say, script 100, you have to manually remove the calls to all 99 previous scripts before you can continue on. And why? So you can get a horrible report that is EXACTLY like the ancient Robot from 1997 (I used to use that one too). And if you do have a fail, you can't access the failure through Test Manager's report, you have to take note of where it is in the script, then open the script up to try to figure out what went wrong. (This may have been fixed in subsequent versions though?). The other thing is I found the reports aren't all that nice coming out of TestManager (Quality Center has beautiful reports).
    For our purposes, we now create a script in Functional Tester and call all our scripts from it. I also set my error report to come out in HTML as it looks much better, provides tons of helpful information, including screenshots of errors, etc. and links to immediately update you test cases from the error report (in the case that you want to overwrite one). Also, if I have to run from script 100, I just enclose the previous 99 with /** ... **/ and continue on, and if it hits a fatal error or can't find an object, instead of just crashing that script and moving on, the calling script crashes too, so I instantly see what happened, and am left at the same place as the error occurred within the application under test.

Sorry, quite the rant huh? Just thought I'd give my two cents worth - to sum it up, if you're looking for a way to manage your requirements, report on test runs, manage defects and execute your scripts, you might want to invest in Quality Center. If you can live without all the fancy schmancy stuff and want potentially robust test scripts in a simple environment, without the huge monetary investment involved, I recommend you go with Rational Functional Tester and perhaps not bother with TestManager (though the two come together and maybe others like to use it?)

Okay I'm done!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I do zero functional testing with Robot/TM (I'm purely a performance tester) and it always kind of fascinates me hearing about the functional based "war stories" because I have little to no exposure to it, yet use the same tool in a completely different way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

k_shelley,
    I've never used Quality Center. I think you may have missed some of the good parts of Test Manager. I use Robot SQABasic. You seem to be using Functional Tester. Perhaps IBM hasn't done as good a job integrating it with Test Manager.

It is slow to stop a running suite.
    If you want to run a subset of your scripts and you refuse to use test cases and test plans you can duplicate the suite and delete the scripts you want to skip.

If you do use a test plan you can select the desired group of test cases, right click and select run.
    Test cases and test plans also makes the log easier to analyze because there is a top level result for each test case.

I don't see what's horrible about Test managers reports.
    In a report I can right click an error and select open script and it will take me to the appropriate position in the script.
    My main complaint about this is the fact that test manager doesn't seem to know when a SQABasic library is used and so you have to do that manually.

I'm not sure how to judge the beauty of the reports but they are functional.
    If you like Html I believe the yahoo users group has a log file to Html converter.
    The reports from running robot scripts contain baseline vs actual in the verification point entries. If it's a script error the problem can be hard to find however.

Verification points can be updated from test manager reports. Use the right click entry to view the data and then click the button to update the baseline.

I like that Test manager runs the next test case in the suite even if the previous one failed.
    Just because the previous test couldn't find an object doesn't mean that all the tests in the suite will be using that object.
    You can also set preconditions for the test cases /scripts so that they only run after a particular script is successful.

Test Suites also allows a lot of Logic about what test to run, what the preconditions are, how many times to run them, and what environment to run them in. If you pay for it you can also use Test Manger to run suites on multiple computers at once.
    You can use Test Manger to select identify scripts related to a changed inputs so you can you check those scripts instead of the entire suite.
    These are the reasons that I think using Test Manger is a useful tool.

I wouldn't say Test Manager is great, it does have some rough spots, but it's not bad.

Phil

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

And, what about CARSWorkbench? It's the other tool not mentioned.

I would like to know what is your opinion about this one.

The mine is....

1) Has a excelent Risk Quality Analysis and Test Coverage engine. It's helpful on business approach.

2) It's good for testing modules, only when exists a testscript (developed on TestPartner) for a TestCase. Why?
    Because if the TestPartner script uses a datapool, and if each record inside is a TestCase, the relation is broken. And the problems starts.

I think this problem is shared and common along the tools.

3) I have problems when I try with integral testing. Why? I have my test cases in a estructural way, but the execution is not going to follow de same order. The time is the main variable.

Banking example. The goal is verify the interest calculated for a credit product required by a client. But there are three types of products: A, B and C.

A, the interest is calculated dialy
    B, the interest is caluclated weekly
    C, the interest is calculated monthly

First, The client must be created (There is a TestPartner script that make it, and uses a datapool that create others)
    Second, The account product must be created (There is a TestPartner scripts tha make it, and uses de datapool that create others)
    Next, is neccesary execute a dayend process in order to calculate the interest calculated. (There is a TestParter script that execute it)

So, I have three Integral TestCases and I can create the next estructure:

1) Client with product A
    2) Client with product B
    3) Cliente with product C

And I said that the time is the main variable then, the secuence is:

Day 1, The three clients are created and the account product too
    Day 2, The DayEnd process is executed. In this point the first testcase is verified.
    Day 3 to 7, the DayEnd proceess is executed. In this point
    the second testcase is verified.
    Day 8 to 30, the DayEnd process is executed. In his point the third testcase is verified.

How can you see, the estructure and the secuence is different. I lose the relation between the testcase for creating the client and the account product with the TestPartner script.

For me is difficult designing this type of test in CARSWorkbench.

Is it possible in Quality Center and TestManager?

I hope being cleary in my issue.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Mike,
    what I heard you ask is, "Can I create 3 test cases in TestManager using a shared datapool and 3 shared scripts, and associate the results with 3 different test cases?".

If what I heard is correct then the answer is yes.

A test case in TestManager can be implemented with a script or a suite.

A Robot script can call other scripts and use shared Datapools so you could arrange it that way

A suite can contain test cases, other suites, and scripts so you could arrange it that way also.

So what I would likely do is, create 3 test cases that are implemented using 3 scripts that call the shared scripts in the right order and create a suite that runs these 3 test cases in the correct order.

Phil

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks Phil,

You give me a great idea! And I could solve my problem.

Have you ever used CARSWorbench?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Mike,
    no I've never used it.

Phil