Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Relating Test Manager and Rational Robot scripts

We have been working with Rational Robot for a while, and we are trying to setup our scripts through Test Manager to help us with their management etc... but I am having a hard time figuring out how to relate Test Manager to my Robot scripts.

Here is a simple scenario of four requirements for a new project that we are setting up. We are working with a PowerBuilder app.

1) After I select my client, I need to make sure the "CSM" tab exists

2) Select the "CSM" tab and ensure that 4 toolbar items become visible and available, and selecting each one leads to the right window

3) Select the 4th toolbar item, "VIP Info", make sure the proper records display in the 2 datawindows

4) Select a record in datawindow1 and make sure relevant details display in datawindow2

Do I:
    - combine these four requirements into one Robot script, test one after the other? From TestManager create a test folder that contains reference to the one script?
    - do I create 4 Robot scripts, and each one has the precondition that the previous one needs to be successful to run? From TestManager create a test folder for each of the script with the precondition?
    - do I create 4 Robot scripts, always starting back at step 1 for each script so that the first script would do and test step 1, second would navigate through step one then test step 2, third one would navigate through step one, two then test 3, etc...? From TestManager create one test case folder with a script for each test case folder?
    - other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for your comments and suggestions.

Sylvie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Relating Test Manager and Rational Robot scripts

Ahh, the tracibility trauma that is TestManager.

There is no good way to do this. The *RIGHT* answer would be the ability to map VP's to the requirements that are associated to TestCases... but you can't do that.

I don't have a good answer. You're suggestions are as good as any. You really just need to find the way that works best for you.
    Scott Barber
    Chief Technologist, PerfTestPlus
    Executive Director, Association for Software Testing
    Co-Author, Performance Testing Guidance for Web Applications
    sbarber@perftestplus.com

If you can see it in your mind...
    you will find it in your life.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I couldn't figure out why I was having such a hard time, but that makes sense. I wonder why they didn't build it to map to VP's? I would think that most people would be in the same situation.

Thanks for the comment Scott, I'll keep trying to find the way that works best for us...

Sylvie

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I have never figured this out either. Whenever I talk to "old-school" Robot/TestManager users they don't seem to have a problem with the mapping. I never liked it. I guess I just "think differently" or something.

Do us both a favor - get on the Rational Developers Network and ask your question in the functional testing forum there. Someone might have built something or have an idea, but even if not, the product managers read that forum and maybe if it's not just me making that suggestion... [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]
    Scott Barber
    Chief Technologist, PerfTestPlus
    Executive Director, Association for Software Testing
    Co-Author, Performance Testing Guidance for Web Applications
    sbarber@perftestplus.com

If you can see it in your mind...
    you will find it in your life.