Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Look at objects in other windows?

I wish to refer to an object that is in a different window than the one I am testing. The problem is that I want to refer to it without switching the window I am currently working with. In otherwords I cannot use a "Window SetContext" command.

I have this line:
    iErrMsg = SQAFindObject("Type=GenericObject;Text=Ready")

And I want it to be like this:
    iErrMsg = SQAFindObject("Type=GenericObject;Caption=ServStat us;Text=Ready")
    This second line is incorrect obviously, but it points out that I want to check the existance of an object in the window called "ServStatus" but not switch to that window (making it the active window) from the one I am testing. Quickly using a Window SetContext to go back and forth does not seem to cut it here.

So is there a way I can just pluck the info of an object from a window without making it active?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Look at objects in other windows?

Have you tried referencing the the object in the the different window using its Full Recognition string.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Yes. That is where I got the ("Type=GenericObject;Text=Ready" from (except I clicked it to find out what it was, and now I'm just trying to find if the word ready appears in the ServStatus window).
    The problem is that when I recorded it, I obviously had to make ServStatus the active window before being able to access that object.
    I want to be able to check the existance of this object without making it the active window (so the main app is always active).

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi webrat, Liz is right. You need to use the FULL recognition string.
    It should look something like
    "\;Type=Window;Name=frmMain;\;Type=GenericObject;T ext=Ready"
    where \; refers to the top level (the desktop ?) and the middle section is the same as you would have in a setContext.
    The full string can even be more complex, so to get the actual value that you need, do a
    SQAGetProperty("Type=GenericObject;Text=Ready", "FullRecognition", value)
    For more details, look at Robot inline help under "Finding Recognition Method Values Programmatically"