Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Anyway to pass a log name as a variable?

So I am trying to create a fully autonomus test suite. I'd like to Log file to match the external test file in use when the user loads it. Anyway make the Test Log match this variable when the file is loaded?

I assume the answer is NO since I've found no solution yet.
    [img]graemlins/blankface.gif[/img]
    ~Charles
    Thanks,
    ~Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Anyway to pass a log name as a variable?

I'm not quite sure I understand. What is the 'external test file'? What process is writing to the 'Log file', Robot itself or from within a Robot script?

I believe there are many runtime variables that you can query from within a script, but I wouldn't know where to start without understanding the process you're trying to implement.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Bryan,

Thanks for the reply. The basics are this.....

I have a test suite that throws an InputBox to prompt the user for the build being tested. I append that data with the date and place that into and excel spreadsheet for tracking the performance results soon to follow. Since I am running a suite via command line TM I assumed it wouldn't be possible to pass in this data from the Inputbox to the name of the actual Test Log for the next suite that is going to be run. Or maybe there is?

~Charles
    Thanks,
    ~Charles

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I'm *guessing* that you're trying to take this input and append it to the commanline. Could you have your script write out a batch file containing the commanline statement with the input box data and then execute the batch file? If by TM you mean Test Manager, then I guess I can't help because I've never used it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I use the TestManager command line interface to execute XDE scripts. If it is the same interface then this should be a simple problem.

The log file name can be passed as one of the command line parameters (-log logname)in the TM command.

I may not fuly understand what you are attempting to do. I believe that once you start the suite you are commited to a log file name, and are stuck with it regardless of what is entered into an inputbox.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thats a thought I was starting to have as I mapped the idea out for you the other day. Taking the inputed variable and setting up a system enviorment var to use for setting the log file in the command line execution of the suite. Have to wonder if that will work...

~Charles
    Thanks,
    ~Charles