Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Anyone know how to specify the datapool start and end rows?

Hi all:

Having been a WinRunner user for a long time, I am new to Robot. As such, there are a few concepts on which I am running into difficulty.

Currently, I am trying to write a data driven test script where all a user would have to do is specify the starting row and the ending row from the datapool (for instance, the test will start with row 4 and continue until row 8). In WinRunner, specifying which row to start and end a test run was handled fairly easily and the tester would just change two numbers in the beginning of the script and all is well. However, I cannot for the life of me figure out how to do that in Robot.

Any clues?

Many thanks in advance!

Eric

"Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast"
    - Ace Rimmer
    Eric
    ~~~~
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    - Ace Rimmer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Anyone know how to specify the datapool start and end rows?

Unfortunately you have to loop to the start row and count until the last row you want to end with. If you are bent on using datapools, which is not a very elegant solution as you've seen by now, then wrap this up in a function. Other alternatives are to use ADO recordsets directly from the csv files or from excel files, or to use excel files and access them using COM Object.

Max

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks, Max, for the tips. I found two old threads on this topic and am trying to adapt something to my needs. At least I have the concepts needed to get this to work...

To be honest, I am stunned by the fact that Robot does not handle this in a far more elegant and easy to use fashion. It seems to me that being able to specify start and end rows on a data table/pool is useful functionality. In my last job, we used WinRunner and we used it in a specific purpose. The apps we tested had outcomes that were dependent on the data entered, so data tables were critical to successful test execution with a short turn around time. The goal of the sr. engineers who could write and design scripts (adding decisionmaking logic, etc.) was to write fully reusable scripts that were easy enough that a junior team member who did not know how to write WR scripts could run a complete test series on a new product just by changing values in the Excel spreadsheet based on the appropriate business rules and telling the script where to start and end the test (just two numbers in the header). This kept the sr. engineers free to tackle other issues while everyone on the team could focus on designing the spreadsheets and pressing the run button rather than spending hours sifting through language manuals looking for correct syntax (like I'm doing now :-/).

Please excuse my frustration :-)...
    Eric
    ~~~~
    Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast
    - Ace Rimmer

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Frustration understood. I implemented one project using datapools and although i found it strange around the row situation, i was more annoyed by the fact that although i could change the csv files quite easily it was always important to import the changes back into the datapool or i would have trouble. Then there's the file access slowness...

In future projects we tried MS Access which was fun using recordsets and sql to access the data but had the same file access slowness. So we converted it to SQL Server where our data has been ever since at top speed, we use alot of data and we have our test data set up like a relational database with referencing id's for more complexe documents. This has worked well for us since all the testers on our projects must know how to program and how to use sql to check updates to the application's database.

Others have had great success with excel, and swear by it. To each his own i guess. I wouldn't give up using SQL Server as my data storage, unless of course i could only use Oracle, and last ditch would be files such as excel, csv, tab delimited BUT always with sql and using recordsets.

Lots of success to you!
    Max

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

hi
    u can write a function that accepts 3 parameters like
    1)The datapool name
    2)The Row count
    3)The colum count

This function will return 1 value at each call i.e; the value of the specified column.

in the function body start the loop from 1st poition and just move out till the row desired eg

For lp = 1 to Rowcount(variable function)
    call sqadatapoolfetch(dp)
    next
    call sqadatapoolvalue datapoolvariablename,lp,sendvalue)

now return this value back to the calling function.

this is how i have written a functionthat works perfectly.
    Amit