Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Variable Contains Unprintable Characters?

Robot recorded me selecting an item from an HTML list box:
    ListBox Ctrl_Click, "Type=ListBox;Name=cboPeriods", "Text=MA11*****JAN"

I created a variable for the third parameter and added the following code immediately beneath the recorded line:
    sListItem = "Text=MA11 JAN"
    ListBox Ctrl_Click, "Type=ListBox;Name=cboPeriods", sListItem

The first line of code passes, and the second fails. I created the value for sListItem by typing the value in.

After the second line failed, I replaced the value for sListItem that I typed in by cutting-and-pasting from the original line that Robot recorded. The second line then ran successfully. I and someone else have been looking at these two different strings--the one that I typed in and the one that is recorded in the script--and we can't see any difference (at least in the 17 visible characters). Is it possible that the recorded string contains something unprintable that I can't see?

Thanks for your help.

Andrew

------------------
    Andrew McFarlane
    welkin_inc@hotmail.com
    Andrew McFarlane
    welkin_inc@hotmail.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Variable Contains Unprintable Characters?

I did a character-by-character analysis of the two different strings. As you might have guessed, the characters that I thought were spaces in the recorded string were not spaces--the recorded string "space" characters had an ASCII code of 160. I looked at an ASCII table, and the character with a decimal code of 160 looks like the characer 'a' with an accent-grav. What the heck is this? What am I missing here?

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by amcfarla:
    Robot recorded me selecting an item from an HTML list box:
    ListBox Ctrl_Click, "Type=ListBox;Name=cboPeriods", "Text=MA11*****JAN"

I created a variable for the third parameter and added the following code immediately beneath the recorded line:
    sListItem = "Text=MA11 JAN"
    ListBox Ctrl_Click, "Type=ListBox;Name=cboPeriods", sListItem

The first line of code passes, and the second fails. I created the value for sListItem by typing the value in.

After the second line failed, I replaced the value for sListItem that I typed in by cutting-and-pasting from the original line that Robot recorded. The second line then ran successfully. I and someone else have been looking at these two different strings--the one that I typed in and the one that is recorded in the script--and we can't see any difference (at least in the 17 visible characters). Is it possible that the recorded string contains something unprintable that I can't see?

Thanks for your help.

Andrew

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

------------------
    Andrew McFarlane
    welkin_inc@hotmail.com
    Andrew McFarlane
    welkin_inc@hotmail.com