Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Test Performance of Back End Processes

We are using Rational Suite for our Performance testing and here is the overview of our application and the problem we are facing.
    Our application is a Java Client App. launched from the command prompt. The client application interacts with our weblogic server, which is both an APP and a WEB server. The protocol for this interaction is the T3 protocol which is weblogic specific. The server then interacts with our oracle database using JDBC. The responses are then sent back to the java client using the same T3 protocol , and on the client they are stored again as text files. We are using WebLogic, which is both an APP and a WEB server.
    The application is launched from a command prompt andis a .cmd file, which basically instantiates a java class on the client.

We recorded a vu script using API recording for 5 records but when we tried to play back the script it took like 1 hour to execute while the actualy process takes not over 1 minute to process the 5 records.When we opened the recorded VU script, it had a bunch of socket_send and socket_receive commands containing some raw data in ASCII format. From what we could understand, the VU script genrated reads only the network traffic between the client and the server, and thus it has some socket_send statments in it, which are not exactly in the same numbers as the number of records.

We are trying to measure the processing time for the input file but are unable to do so.

If anyone has done this type of back-end testing or has any idea about this, would appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Test Performance of Back End Processes

First - I recommend switching to network recording for Client/Server traffic.

Second - the reason that the sock_sends and _recvs don't match is because of either header files or packets being broken up. Put a comment in before every button click/enter button (whatever) so you can see what sends go with what actions.

Third - I'm sure it's taking so long because something that needs to be unique isn't being handled properly in the script. Quite possibly a session id. If you have anything like that, you will have to find it in the hex and build a match statement to parse it manually (I can give you a lot more detail on that if you go that route).

Forth - I have heard about T3, and had several people ask me questions about it, but I haven't worked with it. Has anyone called Rational Tech Support on this one?

Hope that helps a little, or at least gives you a place to start.

------------------
    Scott Barber
    NOBLE(STAR
    Sr. Performance Engineer
    sbarber@noblestar.com
    http://www.noblestar.com
    http://www.perftestplus.com
    Scott Barber
    Chief Technologist, PerfTestPlus
    Executive Director, Association for Software Testing
    Co-Author, Performance Testing Guidance for Web Applications
    sbarber@perftestplus.com

If you can see it in your mind...
    you will find it in your life.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks Scott.....

We are in touch with Rational people but still waiting to get a solution from them on this.

We are trying to find a work around for this problem by writing a java script and have a question regarding that too..

we created a java file and have rational test script command line commands in the java file. For this we have to include a package called com.rational.test.tss but i could not locate the jar file which contains this package. Any idea where i can get this??

Thanx

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Now that, I don't know. I've never done a java include. I'll ask around and let you know if I find it.

------------------
    Scott Barber
    NOBLE(STAR
    Sr. Performance Engineer
    sbarber@noblestar.com
    Scott Barber
    sbarber@perftestplus.com

Points for Confirmed Friends

Munish,

Which tool are you using for running your javascript? Are you using Robot or RobotJ. Regular robot (VU/SQA Basic) cannot execute java scripts. You can run the java scripts using RobotJ. You can do java includes and other stuff in RobotJ scripts.

Let me know if this helps
    Kiran

------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

kkodithala,

That goes against the documentation. You should be able to run just about anything through TestManager in "regular" robot. At worst, you can launch a batch process that launches your script. Mind you, you won't get any results back that way, but I'm certain it can be done.

------------------
    Scott Barber, Sr. Performance Engineer
    sbarber@noblestar.com
    Scott Barber
    sbarber@perftestplus.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Ok, agreed.

(Why did they ever integrate those two products into one GUI? Talking about these tools were much easier when it was PerfStudio/LoadTest and Robot/TestManager)

------------------
    Scott Barber, Sr. Performance Engineer
    sbarber@noblestar.com
    Scott Barber
    sbarber@perftestplus.com

Points for Confirmed Friends

Scott;

You are partially correct; Rational does support JAVA TSS and also VB Script TSS and Command Line TSS. It only means that you can run JS, VBS and Command Line Batch scripts from Test Manager.

The "Regular Robot" still supports only SQA Basic (GUI) and VU (Performance). If you need to create JAVA includes; you can only do them outside of Robot (Java compiler or ROBOTJ) and can still run them using command line or Test Manager.

I hope this answers your questions

------------------