Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

RFT and a very dynamic webpage

Hi,

I am trying to decide if we can use RFT for our project or if we should buy ST (which I am more familiar with). When I look at the way the interfaces (test objects?) work I wonder: how does this work if the page has a divs or rows or links, etc that aren't there when you do your first recording and are there when you do another. Does it create a new test object for each 'state' or does it blow away the old one with the new state?

The test objects part seems very different from SilkTest where that part can be coded to do whatever you like (i.e. recognition is up to you and you can have methods that you write which use runtime data to build the recognition data).

Thanks,
    Chris
    Chris R Mead

The opinions expressed herein are my own personal opinions and do not represent my employer's view in any way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: RFT and a very dynamic webpage

It can get confused on dynamic webpages but you need to pre-empt this but you can use regular expressions to assist the Object Map in finding the objects.
    You can also use the TestObject find technique which is documented here:
    http://www-128.ibm.com/developerwork...wacki_nodwell/

Does this assist? Cheers.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I just looked at the developerWorks forum and saw you have already found that [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

I've lost my login, but may I add another tip and that is to use the Test Object Inspector, which is the green arrow button with spectacles over the top. It enables you to see all the properties of the object and its hierachy, if you need to find down from a higher level.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks, I have also found the Inspector. Very helpful.
    Chris R Mead

The opinions expressed herein are my own personal opinions and do not represent my employer's view in any way.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

chris,
    also, you can get the children of the main object and save those dynamically as well. check out getchildren().