Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

New Rational Functional Tester

Has anyone tried the new Rational Functional Tester (the one that tests Java, Web, and .NET). I've been trying to get the evaluation version from IBM web site, but the link always takes me to an older version. Just wondering if anyone has had success getting a hold of this version.
    Victor Ewert
    Ewert Technologies
    http://www.ewert-technologies.ca

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: New Rational Functional Tester

I've got it now. I did see a demo version of it from IBM themselves in December, which used Eclipse 3.0 (!!!! [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img] ). However, installing the latest seems to still be 2.1.2. I'm looking into it; I use Eclipse elsewhere and switching to this "retro" version is nasty.

You are looking for "patch.mcksr4.567.msp", which is known as "IBM Rational Service Release 4, version 2003.06.14". It's under "Downloads and drivers", look for Rational Products, then "XDE Functional Tester" in both the drop down lists. Yup, it's a patch, not a full install [img]images/icons/frown.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for the info.

Do you know what version you need to upgrade from (e.g. can I upgrade from RobotJ, or do I need to upgrade from XDETester?
    Victor Ewert
    Ewert Technologies

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Not sure to be honest, I only tried going from 2003.06.13, and that was a fresh install. We had a very very old copy of XDE on the machine and I decided to clean it out rather than risk upgrade weirdness. I work in QA. I don't trust upgrades all that much through experience! [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

I did have problems with my test datastore afterwards, it would not execute any tests. Turned out to be an environment problem that was solved by either (or both) of these two things:

1) Removing the "XDE Tester" directories from My Documents

2) Creating a new dummy datastore and comparing the classpath settings for the datastore.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

The new Rational Functional Tester 6.1 Trial version is now available to download.

http://www-306.ibm.com/software/awdt...er/functional/

I haven't looked at it too much but I think it does use Eclipse 3. It also seems to come with Rational Manual Tester, which is now run inside an Eclipse shell.
    Victor Ewert
    Ewert Technologies

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

It uses eclipse 3.0.1.1

Also, the CVS functionality is switched off by default. Select
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">
    Window\preferences\workbench\Capabilites </pre><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">and check Team to bring it back.

The trial version checks for an older version of XDE and has you remove it.

My project ran without any reworking.

the object mapper appears to been enhanced. Haven't spent much time with it to see if the usability has been improved (hope it has, but on first look not to impressed).

Has anyone figured out how to add the "-eas" switch to the javaw that executes the scripts? I'd like to have my asserts actually assert.
    Let go Luke!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

We've been using the new one for a while now, and I have to say I'm very impressed. Getting back to a recent version of Eclipse is a godsend after suffering with 2.0.2 for so long.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Yeah, Now the GUI is impressive. Lots of new things and even change in Keyboard shortcuts.

But, IBM people might have thought once :-), while changing the Keyboard Shortcuts.
    Sathis M R
    Associate
    sathismr@rediffmail.com
    --------------------

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Nah, the keyboard shortcuts are standard Eclipse, which I think is a good thing. We get developers to write the tests for their own apps initially, and they already use Eclipse for their own coding. This makes the learning curve very easy to pick up.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Yeah, I too delight to go with Eclipse. But the shortcuts like running the script(Ctrl+F11), now we need to press the keys along with Shift.
    Sathis M R
    Associate
    sathismr@rediffmail.com
    --------------------

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast