Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Performance Benchmarking

We've been using XDE to automate our build verification for our web-based application for some few months now and Test Manager for some manual scripts. I recently got invited in a meeting in our company to discuss about performance benchmarking.

I've never done any of it before so I'm not really sure how to prepare myself, anyone has insights on how to start with this? My understanding for now is that XDE is not designed for this but I maybe wrong. Any other information regarding performance testing is appreciated. We currently have rational tools. Thanks!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Performance Benchmarking

I've always wrote my own performance testing stuff. What I usually do is come up with some methods that are essentially:

startTransaction("Action1");
    // do work
    endTransaction("Action1");

The methods used track the time between the actions and log it. You then need to interpret the data; excel can be pretty good for this.

This is the low cost solution as it uses what you already have. You can go nuts and buy proper tools, but there are a lot of issues around using these, consider it to be a full time job, not an extension to what you already do. Especially if you are the companies "test guy".

There is a lot to benchmarking, it depends what your goal is. You can push it to see how loaded you can get it; you can push it to average load and look for bottlenecks. You can do this with artificial load generators that pretend to be users/resources (easyish for web, forget it for custom protocols). It's a big subject!!