Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Drawbacks RFT vs Robot

Hello, guys. I tried to migrate from Robot to Functional Tester. Huge advantage in my opinion was possibility to write scripts in Java in rft. But it appears for me that to test win32 applications (my application under test is win32 app) with Robot much more easier, and a lot of functionality that was in Robot does not have analog in rft. When i say more easier i do not mean issues with lack of programming skills in Java or VisualBasic, i mean utilties that ships with Robot or rft.

For example:
    -in Robot i can access nested windows easily and set them active. I just write: Window SetContext, Caption="Caption of inner window". I did not find any solution to iterate through nested windows in rft at all
    -in rft i wanted to get property list of control. to do this
    i should to invoke command startApp, remember pid of my app. then to instantiate RootTestObject, then invoke method find with the pid of my app as a parameter - it is all to enable WIN domain (wtf all this??? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]), then invoke find method with control identifier. and after that black magic i can invoke getProperties() method to get list of properties. In Robot to gain what i want i just hit SQAGetProperty with control identifier.

This examples shows that as a experienced in java i do not get any benefits writing scripts in rft, i again should use prerecorded verification points, i should use prerecorded TestData objects. I hoped that moving to rft i can more dynamically work with controls of my app. But alas.

Guys, please share what kind of problems you encountered migrating from Robot to rft? And how you solved it. Of course rft has a lot of benefits, i suppose. But what kind of problem i can expect? on rft not much info on net, so
    any comments will be useful [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

PS:And by the way i will be glad if you can propose the workaround for my first example (accessing nested windows).

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Drawbacks RFT vs Robot

Hi,

You can use IWindow interface to navigate through the Different windows in RFT. Use getTopWindows method which returns the all active windows on the screen as IWindow interface array.

In IWindow interface we have getText method which returns the title of the window , based on that identify your required window and use activate method of IWindow interface to bring your actual window on to the top and perform your actions now on that Window.
    Thanks and Regards,
    Sathish

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thank you for reply, Sathish. But it doesn not work. Yes, i could find control using IWindow interface and identify it by getText method, but i could not activate it. Because controls and nested windows of app are not top-level windows and activate method works only for top-level windows, as far as i know(((

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I think in your application your nested windows are making your required window from being active... is that right??
    Thanks and Regards,
    Sathish

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

...not exactly.

Main app has a lot of nested/child windows. This child windows overlap each other. The content of this windows is chart. I want to make screenshots of them. to do this i should activate in turn each child window and invoke some method that makes screenshot. when i call activate() on any of them i get exception. stack trace:

com.rational.test.ft.UnsupportedMethodException: The method [activate] is only valid on top level windows.
    at com.rational.test.ft.sys.graphical.TestWindow.getT LW(TestWindow.java:422)
    at com.rational.test.ft.sys.graphical.TestWindow.acti vate(TestWindow.java:470)
    at Script2.testMain(Script2.java:119)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke0(Nativ e Method)
    at sun.reflect.NativeMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(Native MethodAccessorImpl.java:39)
    at sun.reflect.DelegatingMethodAccessorImpl.invoke(De legatingMethodAccessorImpl.java:25)
    at java.lang.reflect.Method.invoke(Method.java:597)
    at com.rational.test.ft.sys.FtReflection.invokeMethod 2Ext(FtReflection.java:1215)
    at com.rational.test.ft.sys.FtReflection.invokeMethod Ext(FtReflection.java:1415)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Can you attach screen shots for your application and this windows??
    Thanks and Regards,
    Sathish

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Is all nested child windows opens all at once or simultaneously??
    Thanks and Regards,
    Sathish

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

all at once. i've send you screenshot of app on your email

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi,

are you able to switch between the windows normally using keyboard short cuts??

Are you able to make nested windows to bring on to top manually??
    Thanks and Regards,
    Sathish

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi,
    I can bring "on top" it manually, in other words i can make it active in context of main app, just clicking on it, and after clicking on it it is no more overlapped by other child windows.

I found solutions on robot:
    I can make child window active just passing its name in window SetContext, Caption="bla-bla"

I found solution in UIAutomation:
    AutomationElementCollection chWnds=autoElement.FindAll(TreeScope.Subtree, Condition.TrueCondition);
    foreach (AutomationElement chWnd in chWnds)
    {
    if(chWnd.Current.Name.IndexOf("Graph")>-1){chWnd.SetFocus();}
    }

Only in rft i have the issue

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast