I have been reading on this nice forum for a long time and today I decided that it is the time to start giving my XP in automation field
I had an assigned task in a project in which we are automating some scripts on both IE 8 and Firefox, we wanted to record scripts once on one browser and execute them on both browsers
the challenging point is that for some frame works the Firefox is identifying objects in a different way than IE, nay be different name , ID , ETC....
I choose to do the following
1-Create a shared test object map on IE and write the scripts manually then i renamed the objects in the object map in order to have a very readable script, this allowed me to easily copy and paste as i need with no recording
2-after scripting and finishing all the stuffs on IE, I exported the project then imported it again so that i have 2 separate projects one for the IE and one for the firefox
3-After that i changed the tolerance option of RFT so that i can help the rft to find objects on Firefox faster
4-I then executed my scripts in firefox and identified what are the objects that rft can't find and i deleted them and add them again manualy from the firefox browser
5-At last i got the same code written for IE work on Firefox,,, easy maintenance and the less effort can be done
I wanted to share this as start with you, and i promise i will share more later on, coz I realy adore this forum and it helped me in bad times and good times
Thanks a lot for the information. But I'm wondering if you have tried using the Find() method to construct the objects at run time. The script would be lengthy but it would also have the ease of maintenance I believe.
Thanks for your reply, I think that we don't want to write much code or the script will turn to be program which will need to be tested so you will find your self in need to test the test script [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
practical projects proved that straight forward scripts are easier to maintain and more easier to understand