Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Best way to use datapools for testing

Hi,

I am trying to figure out how make use of datapools and am not sure as to what would be the best way to use them.

I have just dabbled a bit with a datapool, to see how things work out (created one in the RFT project), accessed it and reported all the records.

I know that I can create a datapool in the RFT project and read from it (done that, as mentioned above). I find the steps to create the datapool a bit cumbersome. And if the data needs to be updates, it gets a bit more complicated as the interface is not the one of the best.

I can also import data into a datapool (done that when I took the RFT intro course) but, again, updating the information is not the easiest. I do not mean that it is hugely complicated, but the other people on the team might not fully understand the steps.

I can read the information from a CSV file (have not done that), but I would then have to deal with each line and have to make sure that the data is accurate.

Finally, I can try to read from a spreadsheet (I am leaning towards this solution), and I can have a worksheet for each of the automated scripts that requires a bunch of data. But downloading the set of libraries to be able to do this is problematic (have to ask permission, etc). And I have not read Excel spreadsheet using java before (I have never added a package downloaded from the web before either).

What are your experiences with these methods? Any other suggestions?

I am trying to reduce the amount of code in a scenario by moving the entire data portion to an external file and just looping through all the records.

Thank you in advance for your help,

André

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Best way to use datapools for testing

Hi Andre,
    you can use jexcel to read the values from the excel sheet and use datapool edit api to construct the new datapool.
    Thanks and Regards,
    Sathish

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi Sathish

Thansk for the info.

I was planning on trying the various APIs that are floating around.

However, I am unclear as to what you mean by "... contruct the new datapool".
    That seems to imply that, at the beginning of the running of my script, the data is read from the spreadsheet and copied somewhere for use by the script. In that case, why not just use the Excel file only?

Could you please clarify (maybe provide an example)?

Thanks,

André

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I meant to say that if you want to use only datapools then why don't you try to build a new datapool with the Excel data.Otherwise you can use the Excel sheet it self as the datapool.
    Thanks and Regards,
    Sathish