Thread: TOString

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

TOString

Been doing some digging in QTP and its spawned a question, anyone had to use the TOString method, if so why?

Mark Smith.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: TOString

Reporter.ReportEvent micFail, "ERROR: Page Not Displayed", oFullPageName.ToString

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

For some of our Java apps, we use it all the time to debug the object types/class.

[Edit] I suppose I should expand on this a bit. For example, most of our Java classes are extended. QTP will recognize something like a JList or JavaList, when in all actuality, it's something like a JSearchableComboBox. The standard methods for JavaLists (in this example) will not work. So, we simply get the object, do something like Object.toString in the debug, and then we can see what object it is. Of course, you can also get this information from spying, but we also need to know programatically so we use the right methods to set (or get) the values.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I use it to extract from generated XML that, in turn, gets fed into my AUT as a parameter. It was just easier than creating my own node tags.
    A good rule of thumb is to never measure with your thumb.

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

It seems to be a dice roll as to what this method (or is it a Property?) returns. Or maybe its better stated that it seems to return different strings (sometimes empty), depending on the object. I also found that attempting to use it on some .NET objects caused an exception to be thrown, so you might be wise to encapsulate its use in an On Error... construct.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    It seems to be a dice roll as to what this method (or is it a Property?) returns. Or maybe its better stated that it seems to return different strings (sometimes empty), depending on the object. I also found that attempting to use it on some .NET objects caused an exception to be thrown, so you might be wise to encapsulate its use in an On Error... construct.

[/ QUOTE ]

Good point. Sometimes I've tried it on an object that doesn't support this method (whcih is weird IMO), so I had to find another creative way to get the debug info that I needed. It's useful if it's supported.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks all.

Mark Smith.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

The ToString method is found in every class (whups, and structs also) derived from System.Object. It should return "a String that represents the current Object", but that is up to the implementers to do, and they could let it throw an exception.