Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

QTP Concepts

Hi,

1. Can i say that i can automate whole application using QTP?
    2. When automating, its better to write the own scripts for page validation etc rather using checkpoints/ its better to use the checkpoints.

Please give me the gudence, because am new for automation and have confusion with these two concepts.

Regards,
    Thanks in advance.
    Cheerrss

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: QTP Concepts

[ QUOTE ]

1. Can i say that i can automate whole application using QTP?
    2. When automating, its better to write the own scripts for page validation etc rather using checkpoints/ its better to use the checkpoints.

[/ QUOTE ]
    IMO:

1. Unless the AUT is very simple the answer is almost always "no". QTP is not the issue, rather total automation is rarely achievable, kind of like the speed of light. Especially as the the AUT's combinatorial complexity increases.

2. Most often this depends on a combination of the AUT page being verified and the preferences and skills of the script's author. I think you will find that as your QTP skill level increases you tend to use checkpoints less and less.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks thorwath for your time.

Actuly i had test in one of CMMI level 5 company.They asked me to automate whole application without showing me the application at that moment.So i said its not worth of automate the application 100%.And also asked me to write some scripts, i wrote own scripts for validation and varification, but i have been disgarded because of not using the checkpoints.So am i wrong somewhere? eveny they dint check me for descriptive coding.
    Cheerrss

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

IMO, it would be unusual to cost effectively automate more than 75% of a typically complex application. Of course mileage will vary.

In these tough times I don't know if this comment matters much if you are out of work, but I think <u>you</u> were probably lucky they discarded you, as working for a manager with unrealistic expectations can be harder than laying blacktop in Bakersfield California in August.

This is really not the right forum to discuss this endlessly debatable issue. The right forum for this is the Automated Testing forum.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Ok thorwath sorry for talking wrong issue in forum.Anyways thanks a lot for your reply.
    Cheerrss

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

You can automate most of the features of an application useing QTP.

as you are new for QTP better user record and playback method to automate your testing.

Bye
    Ramakrishna

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

First excercise I do when given an application to automate is to go through the test cases and verify whether they are automation candidates or not.

Majority of the applications have some non-automation candidates due to one reason or another.

Mark Smith.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]

as you are new for QTP better user record and playback method to automate your testing.

[/ QUOTE ]

Pretty bad advise in my opinion!!! You are going to end up with a framework which will be quickly outgrown. Take some time to learn and understand QTP and the AUT.

Obviously its okay (and perhaps advisible) to use record and play back to understand how QTP interacts with the AUT, but to use for you framework, definite no no!

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Further comments and suggestions should be place in the following posting in the Automated Testing forum (which I encouraged the original poster to start with my comments above):

http://www.sqaforums.com/showflat.ph...;Number=480926

Therefore I am locking this thread (which I should have had the brains to move to the Automated Testing forum in the first place).