Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Identify an object within another object

Hi all,
    I have read through a good number of posts about identifying objects, getting object properties, child properties, object spying, etc. However, I didn't see anything about QTP not recognizing an object within another object.

I am using QTP 9.2 on a windows based app, and my problem is this:

I am trying to validate an "edit" button is disabled within a toolstrip. However, QTP does not recognize any objects within the toolstrip, only the toolstrip itself.

When the button is enabled, I can execute the following:
    SwfWindow("Dashboard").SwfToolbar("toolStrip1").Pr ess "Edit"

This is interesting as QTP is able to click the button when it is enabled. However, whenever I try to identify the button, using object spy, in a checkpoint, GetROProperty etc., QTP can only identify the toolstrip, not the button within.

How can I validate if a button is disabled if QTP doesn't seem to be able to identify the button?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Identify an object within another object

Do one thing, add the object when it is enabled and then try to identify it with same object definition when it is disabled.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Turan, thanks,

I have tried that as well. I can record the button when it is enabled, but QTP only captures and saves the toolstrip, not the button within the toolstrip. I have also tried manually adding the button to the repository using object add, but once again QTP, only captures at the toolstrip level.

I have used HAWKEYE (which works like the object spy) and it IS able to identify the button as "tsbEDIT" and capture the button's properties. Not sure why QTP only sees the toolstrip.

Any other ideas?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Did you spy when the object was enabled? And also where to find this HAWKEYE tool?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Correct. Whether the button is enabled or disabled, it doesn't matter. QTP only sees the higher level 'toolstrip'.

I am looking for the HAWKEYE link. It is a nifty little tool [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hawkeye - www.acorns.com.au/Projects/Hawkeye/

The links are really slow, but the download should be there. The basic version is free to use.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Ok, The only thing that you can do now is to use the .Object property of the SWfToolbar and see how to get the internal objects using .NET code.