Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Interacting with Sharepoint Drop Down Menus.

Hello,

I'm working on automating a set of web sites based on MS Sharepoint technology. In automating this, I've run into a problem with interacting with drop down menus. The menus appear below a document title when you click on the down arrow that appears when mousing over it's title.

I have attempted recording actions on the menus, but they get ignored.

I am able to spy the menu item as a web element and see full details. But, apparently the menu is considered its own page, as the top most object is not the main browser page, but a page named after the document. Now, when I switch back to QTP after spying the object, the menu closes. So, all information about the parent objects are lost and I can't get an ID on them to point to them.

I tried creating objects based on the information I could glean, but QTP cannot find the objects I create, with or without smart ID. I also tried the DOM to attempt to click from the arrow object that opens the menu, but I can't seem to click beyond the boundaries of that object.

Has anyone worked with the menus sharepoint uses? Is there a way to externally spy the objects without losing focus on the sharepoint page? Is there another way to view these menus in qtp so I can merely click on the menu items?

Thanks for any help!

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Interacting with Sharepoint Drop Down Menus.

Did you try FireEvent method on the webelement?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Yes, I tried standard click, FireEvent onclick, and .object.onclick.

I get the same problem, the object cannot be found. I've tried it from the main browser page object, but it cannot be found on the page. I've also attempted adding the top level page I could spy the object appears on. It can't seem to recognize that page by name alone, which is the only property I can see with the spy tool. So, I can't yet get to running actions on the object, as it doesn't recognize it as an object at all.

Thanks for helping me clarify that.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Sharepoint objects always gives APIs to work with objects... use COM object viewer to view the APIs and use the same to select the menu.. u can use Excel-> Vb Editor add the object reference and check the APIs in object viewer
    Sanjay

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Does the COM object viewer only view objects registered on the local machine? If so, do I need to be on the machine where sharepoint is installed? I'm testing from a client machine where Sharepoint has not been installed. I can get access to the server Sharepoint is installed on , but is there a tutorial on using the oleviewer? I'm not sure how to weed out the particular menu I want from all the objects listed.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Try FireEvent "onmouseover".
    In the below code, Exchange is the menu and RFQs and Quotes is the menu item. This will take the mouse over the menu and click the menu item.
    Sample Code:
    Browser ("Browser").Page("Welcome to xxx.com").WebButton(" Exchange").FireEvent "onmouseover"
    Browser ("Browser").Page("Welcome to xxx.com").WebElement("RFQs and Quotes").Click

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

what is the com object viewer?