Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Keyword framework implementation through QC

Hi Experts,

We are using keyword framework for testing our application. This involve 9 different folders as Scripts, datatable, Environment,Library, Object Repository,Output,Results,Error Screens and Recovery. The contents of the folder are:
    1. Scripts: Contains driver and controller script.
    2. Datatable: Contains the input data sheet (excel file).
    3. Environment: Contain the environment file (xml).
    4. Library: Contain Library file (specific test scripts for application under test based on the test cases) and Utility file (Global Functions). These are .vbs files.
    5. Object Repository: Shared repository
    6. Output: Output file(Excel file)
    7. Results: Result File (Excel file)
    8. Error Screens: Error screens are saved in this folder as .png
    9. Recovery: This contain recovery scripts

This works fine when the execution is done through a desktop or a shared drive. But now the client want to implement this through Quality Center. Do anybody of you using this approach? Please let me know how this could be done.

We already have the scripts that we are executing through our framework. Can we reuse these scripts or we had to start from scratch.

Apprentice
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Keyword framework implementation through QC

Hi,

you can reuse the same scripts with the same directory structure using QC.Only u need to save excel sheets and functions in the appropriate folders and give the path as in QC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi siebel,

I am providing the input data (test data) in the excel file. The driver script import the excel sheet to the runtime global sheet. How to do this because the logic (driver script) needs to be alter accordingly. Also, I am saving the results in an excel file. I need to alter this also in the driver script.

If you are actually implenting this, please help me. It would be great if you could share a piece of code/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

You would need add some additional code for the same which will download the file from QC and then run it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi Tarun,

Thanks, I would appreciate if you could provide a piece of code to do this or a tag to the similar threads in the forum as I had searched but not able to find anything.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Look in the QTP FAQ post for links related to QC.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Keyword framework implementation

Hi

Even I am facing the same problem. The QTP scripts are running one day and the other day it fails. Basically I am very new to QTP, I am trying to develop a Keyword driven framwork, and I get the error object cannot be identified.Can anybody please explain me in detail how Object Repository work in keyword driven framework with respect to QTP.

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Keyword framework implementation

You are asking the most general of questions: how do I work with these two complex tools, and work with them in an integrated manner with a custom framework.

Becoming proficient with either of these tools on your own is difficult. Trying to learn both at the same time is perhaps 4X the effort. So if you are not able to work with a more experienced QTP engineer at your company, or unable to bring in a local expert on contract for several weeks, then you are going to have a bumpy ride indeed (so buckle up that seat belt).

And as Tarun recommended to the last poster to this thread:

"Look in the QTP FAQ post for links related to QC".

To that I will add: "and experiment, experiment, experiment".

Sorry, but I don't see any shortcuts to this problem.