Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Multiple QTP running on remote server

Hi,

The techies in my organization want to move the QTP licences to a server which cannot be accessed from our desktop PCs (great idea!!!), and therefore want to install QTP on a remote machine, which we then all remote desktop too, and use QTP.

A coupel of questions;

1) Is this a bad idea for performance, they will be upto 10 of us running QTP at the same time.

2) Can you even running multiple instances of QTP on a remote server?

3) Has anybody else experienced this?

I've used QTP via a remote desktop in the past but it was to another desktop and only had a single user. This multiple user idea sound bad!!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Multiple QTP running on remote server

1. If its a desktop you will only have one user running at a time.

2. You need to look into a VM solution to run more then one copy on a server. (Can QTP run on a server?)

3. No.. looking at creating a VM setup to solve getting kit problem. But will only be small loads you need to watch how much each VM is using for network cpu memory etc.

But Techies would know this.

Not sure this helps much

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

One other point to note - if you are running your tests via Remote Desktop, when you close your connection the remote session will log out and the tests will not run.

Sounds like a terrible idea to me!
    Graeme

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    I've used QTP via a remote desktop in the past but it was to another desktop and only had a single user.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is the only sensible way to go. Buying one big honkin' iron server, and then adding the software overhead to create 10 concurrent VMs is not what Windows [or Windows Server] was architected for.

PCs are cheap. Especially when you factor in the yearly overhead of each contractor and each employee using QTP (to which you then add in the yearly license fee). This is why almost everyone, including the janitor now get their own PCs. Did your "techie" personal come from the mainframe world?

Your manager should be fighting this "proposal" tooth and nail. In the end it will double you hardware/OS costs--one way or the other.

I am curious, what is the rationale behind this proposed move? If you either use source code control, or even its poor stepchild of doing all work on a network drive, the "valuables" so to speak are under the control of IT techies.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

1) Is this a bad idea for performance, they will be upto 10 of us running QTP at the same time.

Not necessarily. We use QTP over metaframe and the whole of the automation team is here in India. If the server is loaded beyond what it can serve, then you are definitely going to see a drag in performance. I think the servers are configured with reference to number of users.

I think it depends on the number of licenses you have.
    Vengat Ramanan.R

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]

We have 15 concurrent users accessing QTP which is installed on a fairly high-spec server - We use MSTSC to remote to it.

Yes provided you have the requisit number of concurrent licences and the server can see the machine hosting the SentinelLM Service - We install the Concurrent Licence Software on the same server as QTP.

3) Has anybody else experienced this?

See above

I've used QTP via a remote desktop in the past but it was to another desktop and only had a single user. This multiple user idea sound bad!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

We have been doing this for the last two years on 5 different servers for Web, java & .Net apps. Only problems we have seen is one server 'Loses' the addin licences once every 2 or 3 months (we just reinstall the license keys which takes about 10 seconds).

One of these servers is acessed from India and they can execute tests fine.

Mark Smith.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]

I am curious, what is the rationale behind this proposed move? If you either use source code control, or even its poor stepchild of doing all work on a network drive, the "valuables" so to speak are under the control of IT techies.

[/ QUOTE ]

Basically there are two networks in the company, development and production. They want to place the QTP licences on the development netwrok. However, it is not possible for a machine log on to the production network to access the development network. Also things such as email are only available on the production network. Obviously we could just log on to the different networks as required but in real life this would be too much hassle. Their solution is to remote desktop to a server which is within the development network, hence my questions.

I think its a bad idea!! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]