Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

How to open a reusable action through script

Hi All,

How can I open an action whose path is known through script..I tried the following script but it didnot work

Dim App
    set App=CreateObject("QuickTest.Application")
    App.Launch
    App.Visible=True
    App.Open(ActionPath)

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: How to open a reusable action through script

Action are not seperate entities. They have to be tied to a test and you can only open a test and not a individal action. But if you use Library files to store your code then you can open library files as individual files.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

thanks tarun.is there any way to go through the code of an action somehow if i know the path where the action is residing.Any particular file where the script written in the action is stored which can b opened thru scripting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

sctipt.mts file in the action folder contains the Action code. But actions are not stored based on Action name but action #

Action0, Action1 etc...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

thanks.I have gonne through the file which is located in the action 1 folder and it contains the script.My project requirement is that every test of mine will have only one action be it resuable action or the master script itself which will be calling the reusable actions.Thus will it advisable if I always check the script.mts file using fso contained in the Action 1 folder for a given action because the script.mts file of action 0 folder has got the RunAction command.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Action0 and Action1 will always be there. Action0 defines the complete test flow and from Action1 the actual actions start. Now if you want to execute these using FSO then you need to make sure about few things
    - You should use 100% DP
    - No iteration based on local data table
    - No action parameters.

And far as this approach is concerned i would suggest you to have a VBS file for each action instead of having a Test. But that all is only possible with 100% DP or shared ORs.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

well most of my reusable actions have been created already and the automation folder structure is already in place so changing all the actions to functions will require a bit of effort.I want to scan each and every action beacause as per our convention in the project we have declared all the variables required in the actions using the Dim statement in the first1-2 lines.Now I need to generate an excel sheet which will act as an test data template for a particular master script.I have already extracted the values of the variables used in one action from the script.mts and I am creating an excel file dynamically where I will be putting all the variable names as column heading.I plan to do this for all the actions called in a master script by first reading the names of the actions called in the master script thru the script.mts file (as we are having naming coventions finding the path of the called action wont be a problem) and then opening all the script.mts file of the called actions one by one.Moreover I am using shared ORs for the resuable actions.Please suggest if this approach makes some sense.And I am little bit poor on acronyms.Could you please expand DP.Thanks a lot for you response.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

DP is Descriptive Programming. Read the article listed in QTP FAQ posts.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

thanks ,that answers my DP question.I have good idea about DP.Please suggest on my approach as I am building a framework for the first time and I need valuable suggestion from experts

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

All i can say after reading your post is that it will work but it is something that i would not prefer. There are some basic reasons behind it.
    - Your are using Actions for storing code only and nothing else. Now you can just copy the script.mts in a VBS file and use it the same way
    - QTP does not allow you to edit multiple tests at the same time. So using VBS will allow you to look at multiple file at the same time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast