We have been having problems with our OR files getting bloated with garbage. After deleting any or even all contents, the file size does not change. In a fit of curiosity, I opened the .tsr file in notepad++ and stumbled across something very strange. Amid all of the valid objects (that should have been gone, having been deleted) there were lines of code from one of my scripts, as well as bits of XML code that I have never seen before and have nothing to do with the app in question. Has anyone else encountered anything like this?
QTP stores a lot of things like hidden properties of objects (which are used for smart identification). And also checkpoint get stored in ORs. So you might see a lot of garbage which cannot be cleaned, but Robbie's idea can work there if you do not have any checkpoints to worry about.
Well, I tried Robbie's suggestion, but the OR file was larger after the reimport. I ran the OR comparison tool and found no differences.
Odd, but I'm a good sport.
Still in the throes of curiosity I used the diff tool in SlickEdit, again just to see. Obviously, I couldn't read 90% of the contents using a text compare, but the differences were still apparent. The part that made no sense whatsoever was that the now "larger" file was missing huge chunks of data as compared to its pre-import version. Based on what you guys offered, that makes perfect sense. What I can't figure is why the file size increased.
With or without the clutter, the OR still works fine. So, I think this will have to be added to the ever increasing pile of life's great mysteries. Somewhere between the shelf life of a Twinkie, and the entire career of Uwe Boll.