Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

QTP failing when running via scheduler

I'm using QuickTest Pro 9.2 with the java addin.
    I launch my test scripts via vbs (App.Test.Run, etc).

When I launch the scripts manually, all is good.
    Then I set them up to run automatically using the windows scheduler (Control Panel, Scheduled Tasks), it becomes unreliable. Sometimes the tests run fine. Other times, the test fails to find any of the UI (java) components. My app under test is a java applet running through IE, incase that's of any relevance.

I've also found something that seems related. I connect to the test system using Remote Desktop (terminal seviceS). If I minimize the Remote Desktop window while the test is running, I get the same behavior that the UI components aren't recognized. And if I do a CaptureBitmap from this state, the bitmap is all black.

Anyone have any insight?

Thanks,
    Ginger

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: QTP failing when running via scheduler

If you are using Remote Desktop and then running tests on that machine, you have to keep the window open, or else the test will not work. Do you have to remote to another machine in order to run the test?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I use Remote desktop into another machine, but my test will run even if my RDP window is closed.
    I think what is happening in your case is the screen saveer is enabled in your remote machine, which causes QTP test not to recognize the objects.

Try disabling the screensaver on your remote machine.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

This is from the QTP 9.2 readme, it seems relevant.

When running QuickTest on a remote machine using a Remote Desktop Connection session (RDC) or using Citrix, if the remote session is minimized during the run session, or if the computer on which the application is being tested is logged off or locked, the following problems may occur:

the test or component run session may fail

steps that contain keyboard or focus operations may fail

the Test Results still image capture and/or the Mercury Screen Recorder may display a black screen

steps for which the device level replay is configured to use the mouse (instead of browser events) to run mouse operations may fail. (You set the device level replay using a Setting.WebPackage("ReplayType") statement or by setting the Replay type option in the Advanced Web Options dialog box.)

Workaround: If you are using Citrix or a Remote Desktop Connection session to run a test or component, do not minimize the session window, and make sure that the computer on which the application is being tested is not logged off or locked.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Remote Desktop is not a true remoting software. It does not perform your actions on the actual machine Desktop where in the same thing will appear on the physical remote monitor. It uses its own session concepts to allow access and hence minimizing the same cause issues. Screen saver as pointed out earlier also is one of the issues that people face.

If you have to do remoting to the machine then either don't minimize the window else use a true remoting software like VNC, RADMIN etc...And also disable the screen saver.