Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

QTP Keyword Feature

Hi All

I just want to enquire about QTP inbuilt Keyword driven option. When we start QTP 9.x it shows two tabs one for Keyword and the other is Expert view.

I haven't seen and heard anybody using that inbuilt keyword feature. I think it is inbuilt Keyword driven framework which QTP is providing, then why people are not using that feature and why people are going for external Keyword driven Framework and Data Driven Framework.

If anybody can provide some details on this then it will be helpful, or did anybody used that feature.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: QTP Keyword Feature

Inbuilt keyword view is really good. But your preferences/needs vary. For egs we wanted a keyword view that would be simple enough for the manual testers to create automated tests. Since QTP's keyword view is built considering a large number of scenarios, it is incumbent on the user to be good/familiar with QTP. I mean the complexity of using the framework increases.

However when you have a specific application and the ideas to what to test and how to test, you do not need all the features that the QTP has provided. So with limited features with a bit of limited scope you could develop a framework that could be far more easier to use.
    Vengat Ramanan.R

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Yeah,
    I agree with Vengat
    Regards,
    Performance Learner

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

The Keyword view in QTP is not a framework.
    You can buy my Art from: "Post Cards now available"
    Ian Fraser Landscape Photography
    World Wide Shipping.

http://mowogman.wordpress.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Infact QTP when launching you get a msg "Advanced Keyword driven testing Tool", but this does not necessarily mean that the keyword driven framework is built in.

The keyword view is only a representation of obj using keywords..
    Cheers
    Jonty..
    -- Here to Learn and share ---

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

So what is the basic difference between these two things QTP Keyword feature and Keyword Driven Framework

What I know is that in keyword driven framework which you develop, you will be having your own keywords repository. Which user will use and there will be relevant functions written in the libraries for those keywords

As Keyword Driven Framework(KDF) means there will be table (can be excel sheet) in which there will be simple lines written with some keywords...

In QTP Keyword feature as Vengat said needs user should be proficient in tool and should know what keyword will exactly match their requirement.while there in KDF you have limited repository and rather easy to understand keywords....

This is what i know ans wanted to know more from you people out there....what more we can get.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

You can buy my Art from: "Post Cards now available"
    Ian Fraser Landscape Photography
    World Wide Shipping.

http://mowogman.wordpress.com/

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I think I know about that post of tarun and i have been through some of the posts mentioned....and i have that framework demo which you have posted.

I am kind of confused or am you can say am not able to explain my manager about this....why people are not using inbuilt Keyword feature...I told him that as it is too detailed and need some set of skills to use....and the framework developed will be more user friendly, easy to use and effective...

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Its hard to convince any manager on why you do not use something they have paid for. However I will give some of the reasons behind my pursuit for the framework.

1. The automation team's responsibility would be clearly demarcated. The team's responsibility would be to develop/maintain the framework.

2. Job of creating test cases should rest with the manual testers or subject matter experts.

3. Responsibility to maintain/alter test cases are with the manual testers.

4. Responsibility of developing high complexity test cases that the framework does not address would be done by the automation team.

Since the automation team does not do test cases the ratio:

No of TCs to Develop/Maintain
    -----------------------------
    No of resources

will be healthy. There will be enough manual testers to maintain. If the automation team does the job of developing/maintaining test cases, then the ratio will be skewed.

With the framework and the responsibilities clearly defined the automation team can help several projects to be automated.
    Vengat Ramanan.R