Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

QTP Testing from scratch

Hi All,

I am new to QTP.I would like to know,how the testing of applications starts from scratch in real time environment based on the below 2 options

1)are the testing people build the object repository and add the steps manually or

2)are they use record and playback?

when the 1st option is used?

when the 2nd option is used?

Thanks

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: QTP Testing from scratch

Go through posts mentioned in the below link

http://www.sqaforums.com/showflat.ph...e=0#Post402552

There are few that discuss about object repositories also

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]

1)are the testing people build the object repository and add the steps manually or

2)are they use record and playback?

when the 1st option is used?

when the 2nd option is used?

[/ QUOTE ]

Adding objects first and then writing the script is better and mature approach over record & playback.

WHY?
    (1)It reduces duplicacy of objects in repository.
    (2)The script contains the exact code to perform an task ..no extra code which is simply just get recorded otherwise doesn't contribute to the script functionality.

(3)By writing you have more control over script and it does exactly what you want it to do.

(4)IF you working on shared repository, one person can take the responsibilty to maintain repository..other can simply write the script using those objects.

(5)As reusability is achieved more by writing scripts to perform a single task and then that script could be reused anywhere.

So list goes on and on.....

Go for script writing..that is better approach.
    Vishal Aggarwal
    Test Architect
    http://testocean.blogspot.in/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I don't use an object repository or record and playback. If you try to put every object in your repository you will find that you spend a ton of time maintaining the repository when development makes changes to the user interface. To get around this I create my own "generic" custom objects that refer to common areas of the application that I work with. Then I create functions for my function library and create the script. This is all done using descriptive programming.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    To get around this I create my own "generic" custom objects that refer to common areas of the application that I work with.

[/ QUOTE ]

Please can you explain what you term as "generic custom objects"?
    Vishal Aggarwal
    Test Architect
    http://testocean.blogspot.in/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

If User Interface changes and dev. team makes changes in properties of objects on web page then scripts with descriptive programming will also fail if you are using property name and value in script.
    So basically unless and until your application is stable enough you shouldnt move for automation
    Snehal Pailkar

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    If User Interface changes and dev. team makes changes in properties of objects on web page then scripts with descriptive programming will also fail if you are using property name and value in script.
    So basically unless and until your application is stable enough you shouldnt move for automation

[/ QUOTE ]

Sorry, but I disagree with your comment.

As long as you automation framework promotes code reuse and a well structured OR (DP or QTP), then I don't see why automation cannot early on.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    Please can you explain what you term as "generic custom objects"?

[/ QUOTE ]

This means that for a Web application I define a single Browser object and a single Page object. They don't have any properties that tie them to a specific page which makes them generic. I can then use my Page object for every page in my web application.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    This means that for a Web application I define a single Browser object and a single Page object. They don't have any properties that tie them to a specific page which makes them generic. I can then use my Page object for every page in my web application.

[/ QUOTE ]

This can be the case as well for the OR. One can still use the object repository in such a way that your object descriptions are a bit more generic and where needed properties can be set on the fly with DP to assist in object identification. With enough experience and or planning and fore thought maintenance due to interface changes is not more work or hassle with either DP or the OR.

I put nearly as much thought and effort into planning my repository as I do my scripts. The OR is just a data store and if you let it get out of hand it will be a major headache for you but if you use some planning and structure to this data store you will find that it is more useful than you may have thought.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I agree with you jbeckton. I actually use a combination of both methods. Creating objects within my code and defining objects with limited properties in the OR.

You are right about investing time into setting up your OR. There would be tons of maintenance involved if something changed in a web application and you had many different Browser objects defined.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast