Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Rookie Q?: How to check if an object is on page?

In working with QTP and PeopleSoft 8.9, I am having a problem making QTP check to see if an object exists in my browser. Then based on that result, performing some other action.

I have a long list of IDs for which I need to delete a particular phone number stored on that ID's record. Here is what the phone data looks like in our application:

QTP “sees” each of the Phone fields as follows:
    Business
    Browser("Add/Update a Person").Page("Add/Update a Person").Frame("TargetContent").WebEdit("SCC_PERS_ PHN_H_PHONE$0")

Home
    Browser("Add/Update a Person").Page("Add/Update a Person").Frame("TargetContent").WebEdit("SCC_PERS_ PHN_H_PHONE$1")

Mailing
    Browser("Add/Update a Person").Page("Add/Update a Person").Frame("TargetContent").WebEdit("SCC_PERS_ PHN_H_PHONE$2")

Preferred
    Browser("Add/Update a Person").Page("Add/Update a Person").Frame("TargetContent").WebEdit("SCC_PERS_ PHN_H_PHONE$3")

But if an ID has only a Home and Preferred phone type, QTP sees those Phone number fields as:
    Home
    Browser("Add/Update a Person").Page("Add/Update a Person").Frame("TargetContent").WebEdit("SCC_PERS_ PHN_H_PHONE$0")

Preferred
    Browser("Add/Update a Person").Page("Add/Update a Person").Frame("TargetContent").WebEdit("SCC_PERS_ PHN_H_PHONE$1")

My goal has 3 steps to it:
    1. I want to make QTP check to see if a particular Phone number text box exists on the page (SCC_PERS_PHN_H_PHONE$1~4).
    2. Then I want to check if the value in the text box matches the one in my Data Table.
    3. I want to then click on the delete button associated with that row.

I am able to write a script that performs steps 2 and 3, but I cannot make it perform step 1 -- the most important step. As mentioned, some IDs will have a row3 and some will not, so i can't program QTP to always delete a certain row because the desired row may be PHONE$0, PHONE$1, PHONE$2, PHONE$3 or even PHONE$4 or 5.

I have tried using the Exist property, but i'm doing something wrong because QTP just sits for a bit at that step before eventually moving on to the next.

I programmed it to check if PHONE$3.(“Value”)=Data Sheet but when row3 doesn’t exist, I get a time out error.

so...can one of you experts help out this n00b. everything i know about QTP has been from what little VBScript i can remember from college years ago and hitting F1. Neither of which is serving me very well here.

thanks,
    john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Rookie Q?: How to check if an object is on pa

Switch of the Smart identification first and then try the code again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    Switch of the Smart identification first and then try the code again.

[/ QUOTE ]are you serious? it's going to be THAT simple? [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] i'll try that this afternoon. thanks.

john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

ok. i made the change you suggested and went with the following code:
    If Browser("Add/Update a Person_2").Page("Add/Update a Person").Frame("TargetContent").WebEdit("SCC_PERS_ PHN_H_PHONE$3").GetROProperty("Value")=DataTable(" phone", dtGlobalSheet) Then
    Browser("Add/Update a Person_2").Page("Add/Update a Person").Frame("TargetContent").Image("Delete row 4 (Alt+8)").Click
    Browser("Add/Update a Person_2").Dialog("Microsoft Internet Explorer").WinButton("OK").Click
    End If

i get this error:
    Cannot identify the object "SCC_PERS_PHN_H_PHONE$3" (of class WebEdit). Verify
    that this object's properties match an object currently displayed in your application.

do i need to add back in the bit where i check to see if the webedit field exists first?

john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Before using GetROProperty use Exist to check if the object even exists or not.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    Before using GetROProperty use Exist to check if the object even exists or not.

[/ QUOTE ]i tried that and i must have coded something incorrectly because it didn't work. i need to get some lunch for now, but i will post up my code when i get back. hopefully, one of you guys will be able to quickly spot the error for me.

john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

If Browser("Add/Update a Person").Page("Add/Update a Person").Frame("TargetContent").WebEdit("SCC_PERS_ PHN_H_PHONE$3").GetROProperty("Exist")=1 Then
    If Browser("Add/Update a Person").Page("Add/Update a Person").Frame("TargetContent").WebEdit("SCC_PERS_ PHN_H_PHONE$3").GetROProperty("Value")=DataTable(" phone", dtGlobalSheet) Then
    Browser("Add/Update a Person").Page("Add/Update a Person").Frame("TargetContent").Image("Delete row 4 (Alt+8)").Click
    Browser("Add/Update a Person").Dialog("Microsoft Internet Explorer").WinButton("OK").Click
    End If
    End If

that's what i have going. can ya'll tell me what i'm doing wrong?

john

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

It should be like this.

If Browser("Add/Update a Person").Page("Add/Update a Person").Frame("TargetContent").WebEdit("SCC_PERS_ PHN_H_PHONE$3").Exist Then
    DataTable("phone", dtGlobalSheet) = Browser("Add/Update a Person").Page("Add/Update a Person").Frame("TargetContent").WebEdit("SCC_PERS_ PHN_H_PHONE$3").GetROProperty("Value")
    Browser("Add/Update a Person").Page("Add/Update a Person").Frame("TargetContent").Image("Delete row 4 (Alt+8)").Click
    Browser("Add/Update a Person").Dialog("Microsoft Internet Explorer").WinButton("OK").Click
    End If

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    It should be like this.

[/ QUOTE ]awesome! thanks.

john