Likes Likes:  0
Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Manual or Automation..... Either has to be poor?

Hi All,
    I have been working on QTP for over 2 years now and a question had been hitting my mind since afternoon when I met my team for the Project Brainstorming...

I thought it would be good to post this in this forum as we have huge number of guys with excellence in testing.

Does writing Test Cases to a User Story mean automating it? Don't hit on with your answers unless you have the answers to my next few lines Please....

If not then why write it?
    If Yes then do testers always test what is covered in the Test Cases?
    If Not then Why write it? If Yes then
    Why are the bugs found in the system not from the Test cases directly....
    I personally see that most of the defects found are really a outcome of the manual testing where the tester enters a area no where listed in the cases...

Secondly Do we really automate what we manually test?

Cheers
    Natwarlal
    Natwarlal

I build applications to test applications.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Manual or Automation..... Either has to be poor?

[ QUOTE ]
    Hi All,
    I have been working on QTP for over 2 years now and a question had been hitting my mind since afternoon when I met my team for the Project Brainstorming...
    <font color="blue">IMHO, if you have been using QTP for over 2 years you should be able to answer some of this yourself</font>

I thought it would be good to post this in this forum as we have huge number of guys with excellence in testing.

Does writing Test Cases to a User Story mean automating it? Don't hit on with your answers unless you have the answers to my next few lines Please....

If not then why write it?
    <font color="blue"> How you going to effectively test a system without test cases? </font>

If Yes then do testers always test what is covered in the Test Cases?
    <font color="blue"> mainly yes, but time dependent some of teh test cases may not be executed </font>
    If Not then Why write it? If Yes then
    Why are the bugs found in the system not from the Test cases directly....
    <font color="blue"> If they are not from test cases then where do they come from? </font>

I personally see that most of the defects found are really a outcome of the manual testing where the tester enters a area no where listed in the cases...
    <font color="blue"> That is not testing, its organised mayhem </font>

<font color="blue"> For automated regression testing we usually automate a subset of what we manually test </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

<font color="blue">I personally would not work for a company that allows the above scenarios to occur.</font>

Mark Smith.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I guess "Testing" takes a whole different meaning in your case.

1. There is no rule that testing can be done with testcases alone, if there are time constraints then I would say Test scenarios and Test conditions even 'use cases' should serve the purpose.

2. One is expected to write test cases for all the different scenarios to be tested in the execution phase and if you end up testing some thing that you didnt document in test case, your design deliverable are sub standard.

3.You write inquistive testcases to find bugs again effeciency your design phase helps to do that.

4. If you dont test what you document in your test cases and if your test case is not capable enough to perform comprehensive testing, forget Automation, no point in Manual testing.

The system is at the mercy of the tester which should not be the case in all scenarios except for adhoc cases.

Testing is effective only when carried out in a systematic manner which means it maily depends on the maturity of the organzation and the testing culture in it.

I dont favour adhoc process especially in Testing..

Naveen
    Cheers
    Jonty..
    -- Here to Learn and share ---

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I think this post should be moved to General manual/automation testing forum; it has no deal with QTP.

What do you think?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Moderators can take the proper decision...

It would be nice if we provide solutions/answers for the questions/problems, rather than giving judgements. Moderators are here to take proper decisions.
    Sorry to waste the space on this forum.
    Nothing is permanent in this world.
    But, that POWER (Who/what is it?) makes us to believe this is Eternal. It makes us good/bad things. I also believe that this is permanent universe. So I should work my job/service to others. No one is good/bad on this according to our knowledge. That power??? makes all these.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Does writing Test Cases to a User Story mean automating it?
    - Before Automation also there was Manual Testing...Still it is here. For that we had been writing test cases. So,your question is ruled out.
    2. For manually testing them. It is not mandatory to automate the application.
    3. We can generate scripts for automation specific even though they are not being covered in the test scripts(Manual).
    Nothing is permanent in this world.
    But, that POWER (Who/what is it?) makes us to believe this is Eternal. It makes us good/bad things. I also believe that this is permanent universe. So I should work my job/service to others. No one is good/bad on this according to our knowledge. That power??? makes all these.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Moderators can take the proper decision...

[ QUOTE ]
    It would be nice if we provide solutions/answers for the questions/problems, rather than giving judgements. Moderators are here to take proper decisions.

[/ QUOTE ]

It's not an answer to the questions that are required, it's a re-evaluation of his companies whole approach towards testing (or having one in the first place).

And in you Moderators are here to take proper decisions remark, is that addressed to me. My reply would be, you should PM im with the answers if you feel they should be answered. Personally I think there are better posts to use my time effectively on.

Mark Smith.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

We might be able to automate everything documented in a manual test case, but as intelligent humans, there are things that we passively pass or actively fail that go un-documented. So in short, never. James Bach has written an interesting post on this in his blog Sapient Processes
    JFry

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thank you all for your suggestions....

These answers to my questions in any way does not relate to the process I am following in my company...
    Infact, all this had to be discussed because, I had already answered to the team when they asked me all these questions which I believe are same as you guys.
    But just to have a second eye on it, I had posted it in here and followed the feedback.

I am sorry for taking your time and using the space on the blog for such an irrelevant post.

Cheers
    Natwarlal
    Natwarlal

I build applications to test applications.