Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

How to declare value appended with global value

Hi All,

I just started using QTP and VB Script last week. I'm trying to create a new variable "cart_name" which is made up of a string like "Janice's cart" and appended with a run number (a variable set in the Global data sheet). For example: cart_name is "Janice's cart 2" with run_num a global variable set to 2. My statements look like this:

Dim cart_name
    cart_name = "Mary's cart" & run_num
    Browser("Home").Page("Home_2").WebEdit("name").Set cart_name

When I run the test, the object cart_name is not set correctly. It only picks up Mary's cart but not the run_num which should be appended. Can someone please let me know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,
    Janice

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: How to declare value appended with global value

Your concatenation is correct. Although, you might want to add a space after the cart: cart_Name = "Mary's cart " & run_num (the space is not necessary, but it will make it match your example where you have a space between "cart" and "2").

Your syntax should work.

Are you sure of what value is in run_num? Maybe run_num is empty (no value assigned to it) so it is concatenating an empty value at the end of "mary's cart".

Maybe add a msgbox line right before your to verify what the value of run_num is:

msgbox ">>>" & run_num & "<<<"

For kicks, you could modify it to cart_name = "Mary's cart" & CStr(run_num) but QTP will convert a number to a string automatically when you use the & operator, so this isn't necessary (but it makes the script a little more clear if someone else is reading it and trying to understand your intent).
    "The last 10% of any software project will take 90% of the budgeted time. The first 90% will take the other 90%"

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Oh, I was assuming that run_num is a variable in your script, and that you were assigning the value of run_num earlier in the script.

Maybe you just wanted to reference the value straight from your datatable? Maybe "run_num" is the name of a column (parameter) in your datatable?

If so, you need to use:

cart_name = "Mary's cart" & DataTable("run_num", dtGlobalSheet)

(you don't need the dtGlobalSheet since QTP always looks there first - I just added it for clarity)
    "The last 10% of any software project will take 90% of the budgeted time. The first 90% will take the other 90%"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi Blake,

You're absolutely right. I needed to reference run_num as a column in my Global datasheet. The code works now. Thanks a bunch.

Janice