Thread: External IDE?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

External IDE?

Is it possible to pull up the components of a test script in an external IDE, (OK, like UltraEdit - super fancy text editor) make changes, and save the file back out without disturbing QTPro?
    I am running QTPro 9.0. Will be running 9.2 as soon as the CD arrives....

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: External IDE?

Well given my experience not while QTP is running and using the same test script (for sure) or libs.

I was editing lib files with TextPad, while I simply had them open in QTP 9.2. I was not trying to edit them in both places, just use them in QTP and edit them in TextPad. But when I went to run the script that used the libs, QTP would indicate the edited libs had a single "0" on the first line. I would then need to close the lib and re-open in QTP.

I finally just settled on using the QTP editor for all of my QTP work.

-Hope this helps, Terry

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Sorry I was unclear... I did not mean that I wanted to edit the files while QTPro was activly running...
    I meant that I'd like to be able to take the QT Scripts out and edit them..... then save them where they came from (which is unclear to me... I have yet to find most of my code)
    THEN load and run QTPro with the newly modified code...
    ---

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

The files which are text should be no problem, such as the script and lib files. But I really question if this will improve your productivity, as the edit, run, debug, modify and then repeat cycle will almost certainly be faster once you get used to the QTP IDE.

But of course, everyone will have their own opinion on this type of thing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Well, there is a QTP Script Editor that's on my QTP v9.2 installation, but it must be used on a licensed PC. I'm unsure what this buys anyone when the normal QTP IDE should be available on that same PC. For this reason I don't use it.

I do use an editor called SCITE to edit QTP test scripts and function libraries. This lacks autocomplete, intellisense-like features, and definitions for the QTP extensions. By changing the extension file being edited to .vbs it's capable of standard formatting and highlighting of VBScript syntax. This is not the ultimate solution, but is free and works for me on any PC.
    If ya got beef then fool eat a pork chop.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I've developed an editor that provides advanced capabilities specifically for QTP and WinRunner scripts as well as a few more bells and whistles. Comes complete with Quality Center interation. You can check it out here:

http://www.patterson-consulting.net/...ign_studio.php
    Boyd Patterson
    Patterson Consulting, LLC
    www.patterson-consulting.net

[i]Creator of Test Design Studio - Powerful IDE for QuickTest Pro[i]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Well looks really gr8 by seeing the screenshots. But unfortunately i was not able to run. It crashes on launch. Neways i could only afford the trial version [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

It was a .NET issue. I installed the 2.0 framework and it workd fine now. Looks good. But it does not have any VBScripting capibilities. Do you plan to add some in future?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    Well given my experience not while QTP is running and using the same test script (for sure) or libs.

I was editing lib files with TextPad, while I simply had them open in QTP 9.2. I was not trying to edit them in both places, just use them in QTP and edit them in TextPad. But when I went to run the script that used the libs, QTP would indicate the edited libs had a single "0" on the first line. I would then need to close the lib and re-open in QTP.

I finally just settled on using the QTP editor for all of my QTP work.

-Hope this helps, Terry

[/ QUOTE ]

I've also experienced this. If you use a VB editor, then you don't get that problem.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    It was a .NET issue. I installed the 2.0 framework and it workd fine now. Looks good. But it does not have any VBScripting capibilities. Do you plan to add some in future?

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks. The .NET 2.0 requirement is something that fails horribly on some machines and gives a nice error message on others. I plan to improve the installer to detect the framework before the public release.

VBScripting capabilities are not planned for the immediate future. All effort is currently aimed at improving productivity with the HP products, and adding the scripting host capability would be a huge undertaking.

Sorry for the long reply. I didn't get e-mails that this thread was updated, and just now saw it. The easiest way to correspond about the tool is to the forums on my site:

http://www.patterson-consulting.net/forum/Default.aspx

I'll try to watch this thread as well.
    Boyd Patterson
    Patterson Consulting, LLC
    www.patterson-consulting.net

[i]Creator of Test Design Studio - Powerful IDE for QuickTest Pro[i]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast