Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Same script across different applications

One of the huge advantages of QTP is the re usability of the scripts if Descriptive Programming is used.

But it is always smart to program scripts that takes on to much?

My case is that we have 1 main product, but with 6 licensees, and increasing, that uses this product. Now, each licensee have their own little variation of the product.
    In addition, each licensee is not using the same language, which makes things a little more tricky when programming.

My main concern is Maintenance. I'm thinking the more complex the code becomes, it will be horrible to keep it updated. But then again, I only need to change one place for all licensees when something is changed.

Anyone have any experience with this sort of challenge?
    Or any good advise how to face this.

Attached(if I can find the download button) you can download a short analyze document that describes the challenge in full detail.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    - How many testers do you need to switch a light bulb? None, we just report it's dark -

Advanced Member
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Same script across different applications

If you reference every object by properties that don't change with all those little variations, then your script should still interact with your objects across all variations.

This may not always be possible.

When it is not possible, you may want to enclose those statements within an if..then or a case statement based on a variable that tells your script which variation you're testing.

So,
    if varVariation = 1 then
    browser(a).page(b).object(c).whatever
    else
    broswer(x).page(y).object(z).whatever
    end if

Or something like that.

You might want to create one launch script for each variation. These launcher scripts might set some environment variables that all the rest of the scripts can access to know which features (variations) to test.

In any case, that's how I handled it in my last position where I was writing automation for a bank that owned several smaller banks who all used the same basic program but each had their own variations for bank and state laws.
    "The last 10% of any software project will take 90% of the budgeted time. The first 90% will take the other 90%"

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I had a similar situation before with 3 or 4 variants per product and alternate languages.

What I did was to test the core functionality, as Blake suggests too, using properties that don't change (in my case 'id'). Abstracting variant or language dependent stuff to function libraries and using environment variables for the tested variant provided a way of controlling the test flow.
    Ron
    If you had to identify, in one word, the reason
    why the human race has not achieved, and never
    will achieve, its full potential that word would be "meetings".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]

When it is not possible, you may want to enclose those statements within an if..then or a case statement based on a variable that tells your script which variation you're testing.

So,
    if varVariation = 1 then
    browser(a).page(b).object(c).whatever
    else
    broswer(x).page(y).object(z).whatever
    end if

Or something like that.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yes, this is what I have done in my "Pilot" which is mentioned in the attachment. Saying if site Y, then do this, but for the rest, do something else.
    Thanks for the advise, I will dig deeper into the challenge. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]
    - How many testers do you need to switch a light bulb? None, we just report it's dark -