I am new to this forum. Very initial agenda for joining this forum was to find out what’s going on in QTP automation world.
I have around 6 months of QTP automation experience and have executed 2 small projects by the time. Prior to that I was working as senior developer in .Net projects. I searched on descriptive programming on this forum and I have following debate questions:
1. When people say Record and playback , its just not record and playback but they do some code for the verifications (checkpoints), parameterization , output value comparison. Do you consider all this is just record and playback? Have seen many people commenting that its not real automation.. how much correct is this? what is the use of record and playback features of tool than?
2. Any thing that can be done with DP can be done with record and playback and vice-versa so its not necessary that you always need to go for DP , if your GUI is stable for regression testing than Record & playback will not be much hard to manage. How many people on this forum are not using only DP? what’s ration of both of this approach in real world?
3. DP should be preferable over Record and playback if you are expecting major maintenance in future based on the nature of your application.
This is my understanding and which may not be 100% true but I would like to initiate this debate which should help new people coming in automation. For me DP is not constrain as I have very good programming experience though I feel that with QTP we can use its amazing feature 'Record and playback'!!!
1) I think it is still record and playback. You can use it if you want scripts that have a very short life.
2) By only recordig you won't be able to handle dynamic content unless you use descriptive programming or setup the objects in the object repository to use dynamic text or names by using an environment variable that gets set dynamically.
I agree with mwsrosso. Just using record and playback does not allow you to create robust functions. I try to create functions that drive the automation for me which I can feed data to. I only record during my initial development to see how QTP interacts with objects then I go off and create my own code.