I don't know about that. With my experience as a tester I generally avoid a new X.0 product and wait for the X.01...or X.27, depending on the information I have.
If they company has a shaky rep for their major, ie X.0 releasees, it makes sense to wait.
If there is a lot of heavy functionality change in the major release and my internal user group is resistant to change, I might wait to see the feedback from the new users of the product so I know what kind of battles I'm taking on.
If there were a lot of delays in the release and the buzz on the beta was negative, I might wait for the issues that concern me to be cleared up.
But if I was a beta tester and I'm thoroughly familiar with the new functionality and the issues, I might drink the kool aid...perhaps with relish.
Another great reason to jump on board is if the new functionality solves a problem that is really messing with my workflow, or significantly enhances my workflow.
Or it's just too darn cool to resist and I got swept away in the hype. (I'm thinking of a certain mobile phone....)
As for this shop, we are on straight 9.0 and the environment is so challenging, the user group so incredibly inexperienced, that it's hard to tell just where the issues are coming from.
Since 9.1 is available, it must be upgraded for a reason. I'd go with 9.1.
I drank that "kool-aid" and upgraded to 9.1. It has been a huge mistake.
I'm testing an app developed in Java and 9.1 has shown some irritating problems that Mercury Support has been unable to figure out. I even have two other Mercury bugs that I haven't bothered to report to them. It is easier for me to just work around the bugs than to communicate with Mercury Support.
I would love to rip 9.1 out and go back to 9.0, but I don't have time to do that (although I do have a good copy of my scripts pre-9.1!)
I upgraded to 9.1 and I think the only avantage of 9.1 over 9.0 is how it deals with IE7.0
the problem , if you open a scrept written in 9.0 using 9.1 and you upgrade it you will no longer be able to open it in 9.0 again ,so if you are considering the 9.1 upgrade then you have to upgrade all your machines plus installing the new QC addins for QTP9.1 , lot of work for a large team.
"I realize it's an error, but no one is going to try to do that!"
From "Top 10 Stupid Comments from Developers".