Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Object Model

Hi all,

Could anyone help me out in the following?

1. What exactly is test object and run-time object?

2. Can we consider all the objects present in object repository as test objects?

3. When we spyed an object, what is the difference b/w test methods/properties and run-time methods/properties?

4. In what scenarios they can be useful?

Thanks in advance,

Vijaya Bhaskar

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Object Model

the test object is the application under test -AUT (means: the application you want to test).
    runtime-object is one object from the AUT during the test. the properties during the runtime are "runtime object properties", these properties may be different from the properties stored in the repository.

please take a look at the user manual of QTP to read out more about this topic. it's helpful to know the basics before you start to automate a test.
    http://qcmt.pc-polis.de

de omnibus dubitandum

For all Questions: Please be sure to take a look at the QTP Manual before posting any Questions, thanks for doing this

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

So...Before running the script, the objects in AUT are test objects and during running they are run-time objects...right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

yes, it's right.

have a look at the manual to the topics

GetTOProperty and GetROProperty

there you will find out the differences

de omnibus dubitandum

For all Questions: Please be sure to take a look at the QTP Manual before posting any Questions, thanks for doing this

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]
    So...Before running the script, the objects in AUT are test objects and during running they are run-time objects...right?

[/ QUOTE ]
    This was, and at times still is, confusing for me (a relatively new QTP user).

But I think it is more correct to consider the Test Objects which were recorded and placed in the OR as distinct and seperate from the Runtime Objects that QTP encounters as it runs your scripts. It is the statements in your test case that "tie" the two together, so to speak:

Browsers("myBrowser).Page("thatPage").webLink("thi sLink").etc

For example I believe the above statement instructs QTP to "find the webLink object described by the "thisLink" OR Test Object description, who's parent is the Page object described by the 'thisPage' OR Test object description", so on and so forth up the object chain (or down the object chain...). Then for each object referenced in the test case statement, QTP attempts to find a Runtime Object on the screen that matches the TO description--and if QTP can't an "object not found..." type of error occurs.

Perhaps others more experienced than I will correct me on these assumptions and statements, but currently this is how I believe the object recognition system uses to record-time Test Objects to find the proper Runtime Objects during test execution.

-Hope this helps, Terry

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

i mean, that a "runtime object" not exist. but the object (stored in repository or defined with descriptiv programming) has specific properties during runtime. the "runtime object properties" may be different from the properties stored in the repository. the properties stored in the repository are the <font color="red">"test object properties"</font>. the actual properties are the <font color="red">"runtime object properties"</font>

if it isn't so,please correct me

you can parametrize the object properties in the repository, over this way you could change the properties with a loaded datatable (as example)

de omnibus dubitandum

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

My two shillings worth:

TO = OR

RO = AUT

Mark Smith.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

[ QUOTE ]

TO = OR

RO = AUT

[/ QUOTE ]

exact...

de omnibus dubitandum