Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I want to learn QTP

Our company does not have the budget to send employees to Mercury training. I have never used QTP or any automated test tool before. And I do not have any programming experience.

Where does a beginner like me start? Is there a particular scripting language I should study first? Are there any third party training materials that I can buy? My goal is to become somewhat of an expert in QTP as soon as possible.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: I want to learn QTP

Once your company purchases the tool, you are equiped with the best start there is, the tutorial.

Going through this tutorial will bring to light any other areas you need to focus on other items to follow (like basic programming skills, Basic QA procedures and skills, VBScript, etc).

Also, I do hope you are aware that an "expert" doesn't happen over night, or even after taking a few classes. It is something that in reality takes years.
    Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results

Deep in the Coast Range Mountains of Oregon, USA
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Why QTP? Do you already have access to this tool? Considering the high cost of QTP, I would expect the company to also provide training or provide the appropriate resources to ensure success with this tool.

If your company hasn't already purchased QTP, why not consider other lower cost, and in my opinion, better tools. TestComplete is very reasonably priced when compared to QTP, and it is a very powerful and capable tool.

The biggest thing to learn about most test automation tools, and especially QTP, is to ignore the sales and marketing hype that says anyone can create tests using the tool's script recording and playback facilities.

Why not also evaluate some of the open source tools? As they are free, and typically based on scripting languages like Ruby or Python, you can experiment with them on your own time and at home without concerns over the $7K to $9K cost of a QTP license.

There are plenty of purported QTP "experts" in the wild (and some in these forums) who have not managed to evolve past QTP's "keyword view". The lack of a background in programming is a hindrance. If you are absolutely convinced that QTP is your weapon of choice, then you'll want to learn VBScript, which is the scripting language that QTP is built upon.

There are many generic principles of test automation that are not tied to a specific tool. Understanding these principles is even more important than knowing a particular scripting language. Two helpful books worth consideration are "Software Test Automation - Effective use of test execution tools" by Mark Fewster and Dorothy Graham, and "Automated Software Testing" by Elfriede Dustin, Jeff Rashka, and John Paul.

And to borrow from some of the true test automation gurus who participate in these forums, remember that it's not automagic. It's also not "scripting", it is software development. Most of the same processes apply: code specifications, code reviews, programming standards and guidelines, source control management, etc.
    Sr. Software Test Automation Architect

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

If your company already has or is contracted to purchase QTP, then the language you will need is VBscript. There are resources on the Micrsoft site, you can find stuff in Google. Once your company has QTP you will have access to the Mercury support site and you will find information there.

However, I reiterate what was said above. Start with the tutorial.

tester

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for the replies! Yes, my company has already purchased QTP but they really had to dig deep into their pockets. They already said that they will not have much of a budget for training. I realize that this will take a long time to become good at but I am willing to put in the time.

Can you recommend a good VB Script book for beginners?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Have you done the tutorial yet?
    tester

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

yeah, I did the tutorial but I still feel like I won't be able to dive right in and start writing meaningful scripts. What would be your recommended second step?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

No, you won't. But you need to be as familiar as possible with what QTP does and doesn't do, because your VBscript will be interacting with QTP.

Start by recording some things on your AUT and make sure that QTP is set up correctly for your environment. That will save you a lot of hassle, and also continue your basic education.

Then click on the Expert View tab and take a look at what QTP says that it did. That will also continue your basic education.

The book I started with was WSH and VBscript for the Absolute Beginner (my rating 4 of 5 stars). Using what I've learned so far in this book I've been able to write absolutely nothing for my QTP scripts. However, I have been able to much better understand what people on this list, (who have supplied me with information, snippets of code and some outright awesome solutions), are talking about.

I've also obtained "VBscript: programmers reference" 2 of 5 stars; and "VBscript in a nutshell" as an adjunct to the 1st two books I'd give it 4 of 5 stars.

It is not a walk in the park.

Start with recording and checking your settings. Order a book while you're doing that. Crack open your gawdawful user's manual and begin reading. It's 900 pages long so you won't run out of material. Sign into the Mercury support site.

Good luck.

tester

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Third step, even though you didn't ask. Log into mercury support daily and read the latest threads and KB's even when you don't understand them. Log into here daily and read the latest threads and posts even when you don't understand them.

You might use the measure of your confusion as an indicator of how much work is ahead of you. This is discouraging at first (deeply) but the day when you do understand some random posting that has nothing to do with you, well, it's very gratifying.

tester

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thanks for all the great advice! So are there no third party training materials that pertain to QTP specifically?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast