Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Limitations of QTP

Can any one tell me what are the limitations of QTP.

Twin Cities, MN, USA

Re: Limitations of QTP

Comparing to what? Every tool has its short-comings.
    Thanks for your feedback.

while implementating any test automation frame work what are the difficulties we face with QTP irrespective of any tool.u said every tool has it's own short comings , ineed these short comings regarding QTP

St. Louis - Year 2025

Most of the shortcomings come from the automator or misunderstandings of the people who just had to have this tool and didn't do a lot of research. Why not focus on the positives? What is the purpose of your need? What is the context?

QTP is only limited by the inability of people to think for themselves.

Any automation tool is as good|bad
    as hands and mind of automator, who is using it.

1. Datatables are a liability
    2. Using inbuilt checkpoints of any kind is a liability
    3. Using QTP the way Mercury intended is a liability

That said and as some others have said how good a tool is, is only limited by your imagination and your coding skills.

I have a framework that I have used with Rational Robot QTP 8.2 & 9.0 and Compuware TestPartner (and the less said about TestPartner the better off we all are).

QTP is only a tool add some imagination and it can be a very good tool. Use it the way Mercury intended and it is a very average tool.

You can buy my Art from: "Post Cards now available"
    Ian Fraser Landscape Photography
    World Wide Shipping.

Thank you IanF

Please come up with valuable answers, who said that limitation of particular tool is inability of the people working on that tool, if i list out the limitations of QTP then will u log out from QAforum ?

Hmm. Limitations. Well my bias for a programming language is 'C,' not VB. So every time I go to program I have to translate on the fly (think in C, write in VB derivative). So, I call this a limitation. You can decide is this is a personal limitation or a tool based one.

On the tool side, let's see. QTP doesn't support the following apps/dev environments.
    <ul type="square">[*]PowerBuilder[*]Baan[*]Centura[*]Delphi[*]Forte[*]Siebel 5&amp;6[*]SmallTalk[*]Stingray[*]explicit Clarion objects[/list]

It only runs on Windows. If I have to test something that runs in X-Windows I have to move to another Mercury tool which has a different language. I would call this a limitation.

It doesn't run on my copy of Windows 3.1 that I keep around for compatibility testing. I would call this a limitation.

The box is not quite heavy enough to use a doorstop to keep the hydraulic arm from closing my office door. I would call this a limitation.
    James Pulley

Replace ineffective offshore contracts, LoadRunnerByTheHour. Starting @ $19.95/hr USD.

Put us to the test, skilled expertise is less expensive than you might imagine.

Twitter: @LoadRunnerBTH @PerfBytes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast