Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Advanced QTP - Lets Discuss

I am starting this post to gather advance knowledge on QTP. I want to know things from you all that are not found in any QTP book.

It could be related to Registery settings in QTP/explaination on any file and it's impact on QTP (for ex Mercury.ini)...i am looking for real advance QTP...plz dont post things that have been discussed over the forum (things like doing some thing with database etc....)....i am looking for out of the blue stuff...

Thanks in advance
    Tarun

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Advanced QTP - Lets Discuss

Registry stuff is easily handled by WScript.Shell (WshShell).
    What other kinds of things are you considering? Advanced is in the eye of the beholder, and I've been pounding the Windows and other APIs since the early 90s. It's like breathing to me. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hmm... I would tend to put the external VBScript and WSH capabilites in the Advanced camp too. They 'open' up the possibilities of things that can be done with QTP driving the process. This leverages/pivots off of other areas that can be accessed via the external functionality in Windows.
    For example, the Registry access/manipulation you can get with VBScript and WSH calls. There is also the XML/DOM access capabilities that can be leveraged. I wrote a routine in VBS for another project using Rational Robot, but re-used it for a QTP project later on. I have a VBS routine to do RSH calls that came from a QTP project that got re-used on the Robot project.
    So... maybe we need setup some catagories of 'Advanced' topics we would like to discuss. They may even fall into their own forum (like VBScript/WSH).
    I'll participate as much as possible for that one.
    Jim
    -------------------------------------------
    For all the general stuff to know about QA/Test go here http://www.softwareqatest.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Originally posted by SteveC:
    Registry stuff is easily handled by WScript.Shell (WshShell).
    What other kinds of things are you considering? Advanced is in the eye of the beholder, and I've been pounding the Windows and other APIs since the early 90s. It's like breathing to me. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">Steve, I am not talking about accessing registry using QTP...i am taking about its setting in registry that QTP stores...and here is somewhat definition of advanced that i am looking for

Adding a reserve object (this has been already explained by mercury in Quick test plus...i am looking for stuff like this...this comes under registry stuff).
    Modifying the checkpoints...(i have had some success on that but complete)
    Hidden functions of QTP.....
    There are many things that i looking for...like can we overide the reporting class???

Looking for things like that...

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Tarun,

Go it, see where you want to head with this. Hmm... would be a good thread. Let's see what comes up.
    Jim
    -------------------------------------------
    For all the general stuff to know about QA/Test go here http://www.softwareqatest.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Hi All,

I am not sure this would be an advance topic, but I have found that the MI documentation lacks in the topic of Recovery Scenarios. I do not think the recovery scenarios are well explained.

Clemens

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Do you mean things like:

a. Change the default Test Directory in - HKLM\Software\Mercury Interactive\QuickTest Professional\MicTest\TestsDirectory
    and HKCU\Software\Mercury Interactive\QuickTest Professional\MicTest\TestsDirectory

b. Saving the documentation summary text from Keyword view when closing test -
    1. Navigate to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Mercury Interactive\QuickTest Professional\MicTest.
    2. Add a DWORD value (Edit -&gt; New -&gt; DWORD Value) with the name SaveSummaryAlways and with value 1.
    3. Restart QuickTest Professional.
    Ron
    If you had to identify, in one word, the reason
    why the human race has not achieved, and never
    will achieve, its full potential that word would be "meetings".

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Yes rong, something like your point B...good point..

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

hi,

maybe you'll find these topics some useful:
    1. just nice to have:
    </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">Reporter.ReportEvent micDone, &quot;Test HTML reporting&quot;, _
    &quot;&lt;DIV style='font-size: 7pt; color: white'&gt;&amp;amp;&lt;/DIV&gt;&quot; _
    &amp; &quot;&lt;P style='text-align:center'&gt; THE STEP HAS BEEN DONE &lt;/P&gt;&quot; _
    &amp; &quot;&lt;B&gt; TEST NAME &lt;/B&gt;&quot; _
    &amp; &quot;&lt;FONT COLOR=#0066ff&gt; OTHER INFORMATION &lt;/FONT&gt; &quot;_
    &amp; &quot;&lt;I&gt;HTML Reporting&lt;/I&gt;&quot;_
    &amp; &quot;&lt;table border=1&gt;&quot;_
    &amp; &quot;&lt;tr&gt;&quot;_
    &amp; &quot;&lt;td&gt;row 1, cell 1&lt;/td&gt;&quot;_
    &amp;&quot;&lt;td&gt;row 1, cell 2&lt;/td&gt;&quot;_
    &amp;&quot;&lt;/tr&gt;&quot;_
    &amp;&quot;&lt;tr&gt;&quot;_
    &amp;&quot;&lt;td&gt;row 2, cell 1&lt;/td&gt;&quot;_
    &amp;&quot;&lt;td&gt;row 2, cell 2&lt;/td&gt;&quot;_
    &amp;&quot;&lt;/tr&gt;&quot;_
    &amp;&quot;&lt;/table&gt;&quot;</pre><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">2. How to change the logical name of a Test Object? - comes from help

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Mercury Interactive\QuickTest Professional\MicTest\Test Objects\Image]"tag query name"="alt"

How to do errors handling using QT Automation objects instead of using VBS </font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">On Error Resume Next</pre><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica"></font><blockquote><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">code:</font><hr /><pre style="font-size:x-small; font-family: monospace;">Set qtApp = CreateObject(&quot;QuickTest.Application&quot
    Set qtTest = qtApp.Test
    qtTest.Settings.Run.OnError = &quot;NextStep&quot;
    Dialog(&quot;NotExistingOne&quot.Activate
    qtTest.Settings.Run.OnError = &quot;Dialog&quot;
    Dialog(&quot;NotExistingOne&quot.Activate</pre><hr /></blockquote><font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">I also have some "undocumented by me - things that are kept in my head so far":
    1. Some useful functions for measuring process performance: getCPUUsage, getMemoryUsage,getGDIobjects.
    The bad issue that i have these functions not in one language (getCPUUsage & getMemoryUsagein VBS, getGDIobjects in C++). I am planning develop a dll including these functions in the future;
    2. How to work with user defined classes in QTP;
    3. Some functions that are helpful while operating with some test objects - mostly for web - really don't know whether they are "advanced".

well.. nothing more comes to my head right now.
    if it gives you a part of interest - will be in touch.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Thank latin..... i tried to see if we can use Reporter object to report to a different file also but till now no success and things that i have found out for reporter have made the chances very dim....anyways i have started with my book on Advance QTP...2 chapters have been written ..."All about Data tables" and "Using APIs in QTP"....hope i can finish this my March 2007....i would be including some code provided on the forum by others....so i would like to thanks all of you for your support...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast