The first part of our solution involved the Options on the TE application.
We are running Extra 8.0. I had to change the Options > Global Preferences > Advanced > HLLAPI settings. Not only must it be set at A but ALSO there must be a session document associated with it. I used the Browse function to locate the Session .edp file associated with the session that I was running.
That solved a lot of problems, but not the Text check point.
Next I was told not to do a Text Checkpoint but a Standard Checkpoint for text.
Additionally I was told that I must begin to Record before Insert Checkpoint.
That helped also.
On a less technical note, I found that my pointer wasn't picking up what I expected when I click on my TE window. It seems that it works best when I click almost below the field that I intend for my checkpoint. I don't know why. But I discovered this by looking at the image in the Active Screen after recording the checkpoint. I could see that QTP was picking up on the row above the field I intended.