Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    san jose, california
    Post Thanks / Like
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

QTP runtime error and file management:

Dear QTP forum members:

I am learning QTP (version 8.2). I read tutorial book and did hands on practice on creating checkpoints (text checkpoints and table checkpoints), parameterization and create output values. The test created with mercury tutorial website (flight reservation).

I encountered the runtime error and warning messages.

When I recorded web-page first time for parameterization the test results is ok, everything is pass. But when I run the test again next day. I encountered runtime error.

The detail message in the test result pane says, Can not identify the objectA. Identify that this objectís properties match the object currently displayed in your application.

--I read QTP help menu. It says that cause is that there is a discrepancy between the test object description saved in the object repository and object description in the application. I t suggests use object repository and object spy to compare the values of the two object.

--should I config object identification in a certain way before I start run the test?

--My question is if I use object spy to see the object in actual application (e.g fromPort in FindFlight page should I spy it at the same time with the recording process, or I can spy this object after I finished recording? Sometimes I spy on actual application the property and value is not match the value with the object in object repository. For example I click on name box object spy show the whole web page property, not specific name box property. I am wondering how can I use object spy to target specific object?

--My second question is regarding the checkpoints. Doest QTP has an undo function to undo the checkpoints I set before? When I do right click on the object, it only has delete function do delete the checkpoints I set before. Please give me some reference on this one.

--My third question is regarding to test management. How can I switch between different test. The only way I found is using file ŗ exit to exit current test, then restart QTP , then open a new test or a existing test. My problem is If I opened two test script, I can only see one, I wasnít not able switch to another test script I opened before. Please tell how Can I do this? (Please tell the source for this problem? User Menu or Mercury QTP documents)

--My fourth question is regarding how to print out or extract data from run time data table in rest result pane. I try to print out the run time data table (excel format), but there is no data only the title. I wasnít able to copy and paste date into another excel document either (I am not sure did I made a silly mistake or I didnít use the correct functionality). Is there a function in QTP can print a report on runtime data table?

I am a beginner, please give me some advise. I appreciate your help!

Post Thanks / Like
    0 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: QTP runtime error and file management:

1. You can (and should) use the object spy when NOT recording.

2. Delete will remove(undo) a checkpoint or find the checkpoint entry in expert mode and delete it

3. Using File-> open will open a test and close the existing one (without needing to shut down QTP). Currently the only way to use multiple tests together is to add your test scripts to a 'batch' script (see "Call to Action" in the help file) and then you can use the master script as a file browser (of sorts)

4. There is no way to print from code but if you look up Datatable.Export in the help it'll tell you how to export the run time data to an excel sheet and you can print it from there. There are plenty of posts on this forum about exporting datatables to excel.

if you need more detailed information please let me know.
    Hope this helps