Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

How to define handlers for mouse clicks or keyboard input

Hi friends,
    The problem I'm encountering during low-level recording is:
    I'm having FirstName text field and after making input for 10 chars (for some validation) some methods has to be called (i.e., by typing) each and every char, a function or method is called namely handler1().It checks for the number of chars for every keying in.If it exceeds the max , it should generate some MsgBox.
    Could any one help in how to record this in low-level recording and also how and when to declare and access this method.Also is it possible to record such things in web event recording configurations - basic,medium and high.If so ,Plz specify how to do it.Tutorial info not enough.
    R.Raja

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: How to define handlers for mouse clicks or keyboard input

Let me rephrase the question to be sure I understand it.

The FirstName field only accepts 10 characters. If an 11th character is entered, a msgbox is popped to tell the user he entered too many characters. You need a function to test this.

Is that right?

If so, my first question is what happens when the user clicks OK on the msgbox - are all 10 characters still in the FirstName field or is it cleared?

If my understanding is correct, then this is how I would code it:

I don't think this should be done in low-level recording. I'm curious why you are using low-level to begin with.

browser(A).page(B).edit("FirstName").Set"11charact er"
    If browser(A).page(B).msgbox.exist Then
    handle the box
    reporter.reportevent passed
    Else
    reporter.reportevent failed
    End If

browser(A).page(B).edit("FirstName").Set"10charact e"
    If browser(A).page(B).msgbox.exist Then
    handle the box
    reporter.reportevent failed
    Else
    reporter.reportevent fassed
    End If

Move on to other stuff

This tests the boundary of too many characters and the upper boundary of just right. For most testing purposes, this should suffice (at least in regards to testing the 10-character limit).

If you need more, you can parameterize it and put it in a loop from 1 to number of parameters. I would make one loop for valid entries and one for invalid.

Hope that helped.

Blake