Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Making the shared ojbect repository more dynamic

I am trying to create a nice and neat shared object repository (OR) that everyone can use, however I can't get QTP recorder to recognize the current objects already defined in the OR. So it redefines all the ojbects I just recored or makes several entries for the same page buts adds _2 or _3 to the page name when these are all the same pages with a little more information. This will make maintaining scripts a nightmare since I will have to change every instant of the object in the OR. Is there a way to merge items in the OR or force QTP to use a certain one or make them more dynamic? How are people using QTP in a development enviornment where the UI is constantly changing with out having to caputure the ojbect again everytime it changes?

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: Making the shared ojbect repository more dynamic

Hurstjp,

While recording u need to make osme changes in the settings.

Go to Tools,
    1.select the Option tab,
    2. Select the 'Web' option
    3. Go to 'Record Setting'option and select the radio button' Pages with diffrent URl's"

i think by selecting this option will solve ur prb.

Piscean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

There is an object repository merge tool that is part of QTP Plus. QTP Plus is on your install CD and can be used to combine repositories.

Personally I would recommend an alternative solution. There is an object repository editor I like to use. It offers more features than the repository editor QTP comes with. You can easily rename, copy and paste objects in this tool. Check it out at:

http://www.sirius-sqa.com/products_aore_details.html

Thanks,

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I used it the tool and it helps some. The problem I am having now is, I can copy and paste a page but it doesn't include all the ojbects associated with the page so I have to copy and paste each object. Are you having the same difficulties?

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

hurstjp -- That is currently the design behavior for the tool. Not saying it is the best design...it is just what I had time to get to at that point. [img]images/icons/wink.gif[/img]

The AORE is currently in code freeze while I try to get other things under control, but I am always welcoming new ideas for future features. It is meant as a way of accomplishing things that simply cant be accomplished any other way. Perhaps this summer I will have some time to add some new features.

David

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

I have to copy and paste each object. Are you having the same difficulties?
    <font size="2" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica">It is not huge prize for having nice and clean Repository,
    instead of tens the same objects under different names :-}
    David, again, million thanx to you for AORE!
    Good Luck in new version!
    Janna