Dislikes Dislikes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

expected bitmap isn\'t what I expected

when I create a bitmap checkpoint, i don't select a specific area, in order to check the entire bitmap.

when i run the script and view the test results, the checkpoint fails as the actual bit map shows up correctly, capturing the whole image, but the expected image is just the upper left corner of the image, the exact image viable in the active screen window in QTP.

when i look at the expected image in the active screen and scroll left/right/up/down, the correct entire image is highlighted in light purple, but when the test is run, it fails as the expected image is just a small portion.

any ideas on what i am doing wrong?

its a java application and i am running 8.0 with the java addin

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

Re: expected bitmap isn\'t what I expected

What do you mean highlighted in light purple? Maybe while the first recording, the image was stored differently .... for example - say if a mouse-over causes the Image to be altered (highlighted or resized) then during actual run the checkpoint will fail as the position of your mouse maybe different. Or vice-versa...

That's just an example. There could be many reasons for this. Maybe you could use the "select area" option but instead select the entire image. It might just work.
    (I'm hiring Software Development Engineers in Test in Seattle, WA)

SQA Knight
    Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

What I have seen happen a few times is that the original bitmap is captured, but for some reason the include region got set (this was in 6.0 and 6.5). So what I would do is one of two things, either do an update run and recapture the bitmap or go create an include region over the whole bitmap image.

The bitmap checkpoint is very limited in its functionality (only 1 include region, needs to have multiple include and exclude capabilty).

Why are you using it? Bitmaps should only be used as a very last resort (in my case I had to because I was testing from the client side of a Citrix based app., and the objects in the citrix window are part of the 'blob').

Hope this helps.

Jim
    Jim
    -------------------------------------------
    For all the general stuff to know about QA/Test go here http://www.softwareqatest.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Total Downloaded

i'll give the update run a try.
    i work for a medical imaging company so bitmap compares are a critical feature for us.

we're currently evaluating QTP.
    we are currently using Robot, which has excellent image compare utilities.

thanks